3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2012 8:12 AM by Steve Werner

Text aligns to top of frame after submitting form

18 Spheres

Working in CS6 I made an interactive form with text fields, radio buttons, check boxes and a submit button and exported to pdf. I set up the submit button so it goes to my email address so I can see how it looks.

I then filled out the form (in the text fields) with my name, address etc. When I submitted the form I see that in every text field that's been filled-in the text aligns to the top of the text frame. It is much too high up.

I have tried everything including setting the text frame alignment to center. Each time I submit the form, the filled-in text aligns at the top. Any help would be most appreciated.

Here is a screen shot of my name that is not in the center of the text frame.

Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 8.26.07 AM.png

• 1. Re: Text aligns to top of frame after submitting form
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's hard to see what's happening from your screen capture.

Open it in Acrobat Pro. Go into editing mode, and show the form so it shows the size of the form fields like this one:

FormFields.jpg

There is no control for vertical alignment in InDesign or in Acrobat Pro. By default, text is centered vertically. But it's hard to see if we can't see the dimensions of the form fields.

• 2. Re: Text aligns to top of frame after submitting form
            18 Spheres Level 1

It's strange because again, (after exporting the form to PDF Interactive) I filled the pdf form in with my name, address etc and highlited the fields. At this point the text is centered. I then clicked submit.

It went to my email, but looking at it the pdf attachement within my Apple Mail the text aligns at the top. If I click on the attached pdf it opens in Acrobat X and the text is correctly centered. 

I don't think this has anything to do with Apple Mail because I sent the Interactive pdf form to a friend. When he began to fill the form he saw the text in all text fields to be too high.

Here is a screen shot of the attached pdf within my Mail program (cannot show the highlighted text fields) and the same pdf on the Desktop with highlighted fields.

Attached File in Email.png

Desktop File.png

• 3. Re: Text aligns to top of frame after submitting form
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your friend probably viewed the PDF in Apple Preview. Apple Preview is notoriously lousy at handling PDF forms. Apple Mail uses, I think, the same rendering engine.

You need to view in Adobe Reader or Acrobat to know for sure.