4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2012 2:21 PM by BigJohnD

Problems with printing

Arjen24A

A customer of ours has recently got a new Ricoh Printer (Aficio C3001). They have problem selecting the paperbank or their choice to print from.

We have found out that we need .ppd files. We have found the right file (Ricoh  Website). We can still choose only 2 of the 4 paperbanks, while all other applications can choose all 4.

They have a few different templates to suit the right paper size. When they print the prints they make don't fit the paper, some things are lost (because they are outside the paper).

If anybody can help me that would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Arjen

• 1. Re: Problems with printing
          Jay Chevako Level 3

Are you using the postscript ppd? try postscript and pcl drivers and see how you fare.

I see that model has postscript emulation, I returned a rather nice color copier/printer, because the salesman falsley claimed it had Adobe postscrpt. My test of the copier had it dropping out characters on complex jobs.  It was a xerox using "Oak emulation".
          Jay

• 2. Re: Problems with printing
            asbatwrk

Perhaps related: I have a Windows 7 who is unable to print in colour from PageMaker 7 since her new Xerox WorkCentre 7545 was installed earlier this week. Other applications are able to print in colour but PageMaker seems to bypass the usual print drivers. I've tried installing the Xerox PPD to no avail. Tomorrow when she's back in the office we're going to try a PCL driver. I'm open to other suggestions though. -asb;

• 3. Re: Problems with printing
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

For the umpteeth time in this forum...Windows 7 is NOT SUPPORTED.

The fact that it even installed is better than most people get.

Time to move forward to InDesign or back to Windows 98.

Bob

• 4. Re: Problems with printing
                asbatwrk Level 1

That's useful to know. Thanks Bob. -asb;

• 5. Re: Problems with printing
                  BigJohnD Level 3

asbatwrk wrote:

I've tried installing the Xerox PPD to no avail. Tomorrow when she's back in the office we're going to try a PCL driver. I'm open to other suggestions though. -asb;

Where did you put the Xerox PPD file?

From the old FAQs - page 166 - http://bigjohnd.org.uk/PM_FAQs/PM_FAQs.zip

"The PPD for your PostScript device needs to be copied to the [pmdir]\RSRC\[language]\PPD4* folder so PageMaker can find it. It's the PPD that tells PageMaker about a PostScript printer's capability and enables you to see those capabilities in PageMaker's print dialog."

But PM is ancient and obsolete, not supported on Win7, and for best results needs to run on Win2K.