5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2012 1:15 PM by Peter B. Bailey

My buttons aren't working

Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Hi,

I've done this about five times now, but, it still doesn't work. I made a simple button on my master page. That master page applies to about half of my document. It's a simple green box with some type in it. I right-clicked on it. I chose Interactive/make a button. The button panel appears. I tell it to go to previous view in the PDF when clicked. Well, after making the PDF (and, yes, I have "hyperlinks" chosen), the "button" is just a dead green box in space. There's no finger pointer at all when I browse over it.

Thanks,

Peter

• 1. Re: My buttons aren't working
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're using InDesign CS 5 or later, export as Interactive, not as Print. If you're exporting from InDesign CS6, make sure you're updated to 8.0.1 which fixes a problem of buttons coming from the master page.

• 2. Re: My buttons aren't working
            Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Yes, I'm using 8.0.1 ID.

Well, when I exported to interactive PDF, I at least get a live button when I hover over it. But, it's not going back to the "previous view" that I asked it to. In fact, it seems rather arbitrary as to the page it returns to.

Thanks,

Peter

• 3. Re: My buttons aren't working
              Peter B. Bailey Level 1

I re-did my button. I have no idea how it changed, but it appeared to. I re-exported it. It's better than it was. The first 10 or so button presses are indeed going back to the "previous view" in the PDF. But, all the ones thereafter don't go back to the previous view. What's that about? A previous view is a previous view. I'm hyperlinking from front pages to back pages and I simply want the button to go back to that front page just looked at. And. it's not working for most of the pages.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: My buttons aren't working
                Peter B. Bailey Level 1

This bums me out. I love ID. It's now in its 6th iteration and it still can't do simple hyperlinks for me. It's just too weird, the way it behaves here.

• 5. Re: My buttons aren't working
                  Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Hey, I got it working! This thinking out loud, back and forth, on this forum, seems to help me.

I got it working by diagnosing the PDF I was making. I used the button tool and looked at the properties of my buttons. They all seemed to have redundant instructions about "previous view."

So, I just went back into ID. I just deleted my existing button on my master page. Then, I re-created it. And, I made sure there was only ONE instruction for the button when pressed--go to preview view. I exported to interactive PDF and everything's cool.

Thanks.