3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2013 12:54 PM by ChuckMcL

MOVs play fine, but Premiere won't play the audio

teksil Level 1

I have a bunch of MOV files (from a cheap digital camera) that will play fine on say VLC, and they import into Premiere CS5, but when I play them in Premiere, or put them into a Sequence, the video plays but the sound turns to a high pitched beep after 1 second. Every file does this, and all other files (including MOVs from different cameras) are working fine in the same sequence. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: MOVs play fine, but Premiere won't play the audio
          teksil Level 1

PS: files also play great in Adobe Bridge, QT... waveform on Premiere shows exactly that: sound for the first half a second, then nothing.

• 2. Re: MOVs play fine, but Premiere won't play the audio
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Let's get this out of the way first. When you Imported those MOV files into PrPro, did you allow the Audio to Conform completely? See this article for more background: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/726693?tstart=30

Next, what is the Audio CODEC, used in the MOV files, and also their Sample-Rate and Bit-Depth?

Last, playability can tell one some things, but there are differences between playing back the physical file, and then editing that same file. See this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1066154?tstart=0 by John T. Smith.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: MOVs play fine, but Premiere won't play the audio
              ChuckMcL Level 1

I had a similar problem, I'll tell you how I solved it.  Understand that I am a newbie at video editing and Premiere Pro.  I shot videos on a DSLR (.mov) and then transferred them to my computer.  I then imported them into Premiere CS6.  The videos played fine, and the sound bars indicated that audio was playing, but there was no sound.  The clips I imported played fine in Windows Media Player.  I did everything suggested on the forums, but to no avail.  Then I thought of something no one else had suggested, and it worked!

I ordered my Rain Stratus computer already set up with Premiere CS6 installed.  When I opened a new project, it by default chose Black Magic Design presets, since that is the video card I have.  Being a newbie, I just went with that.  But since the video I was importing was not captured by my Black Magic video card, it was the wrong choice.  It took awhile to figure out, but I finally realized I needed to choose Digital SLR as the sequence preset when I created a new project.  Then the audio worked!

One more thing I had to do, though, before it worked: in PremierePro, go to Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware.  I had to change the hardware from Black Magic Audio to Premiere Pro WDM Sound, click ASIO settings, choose my speakers, and then check the box marked "device 32-bit playback" (even thought I have a 64-bit computer.)

I hope that helps someone else from going through the same frustration.