3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2012 8:40 PM by the_wine_snob

Why is my saved movie so big?

Road Worn

I ripped a guitar tutorial to my hard drive and the size of that was only about 400 or 500 mb. After doing some simple trimming in Premiere Elements, I saved my new movie to a folder only to discover that now the same clip is about 6 gb!

What in the world is going on?

I saved it as an .AVI but it should not be anywhere near that big.

• 1. Re: Why is my saved movie so big?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What were the full specs. of the Source Material, and what were the full specs. of the output material?

Most likely, the output was not as heavily compressed, as the original, and had a much higher Bit-Rate. Without the full specs., we cannot tell.

Good luck, and TIA,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Why is my saved movie so big?
            Road Worn Level 1

I deleted the original ripped video from my drive (that particular song anyway), but I was looking at some other songs I ripped and it says this for Crazy Train:

.AVI

Total Bitrate 1939

Data Rate 1811

For Bark At The Moon (the original video example I deleted) it says:

.AVI

Total Bitrate 30312

Data Rate 28776

I thought .AVI were supposed to already be uncompressed? So is the reason my output file so large compared to the original (even though we are actually comparing two different songs, I think we can do it) is because the original was compressed and the output file is not?

Can I change some settings in Premiere Elements and still keep it an .AVI?

• 3. Re: Why is my saved movie so big?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

AVI can be almost anything, and often is. This article will give you more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

Good luck, and hope that helps explain a few things.

Hunt