6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2012 8:19 AM by cfg_2451

Multi-Cam Enabled

fnub

Hi,

I just right clicked a nested sequenced and noticing for the first time a menu choice that says "multi-camera"

-enabled

Camera 1

Camera 2

etc etc

what is this - can anyone shoot me a link to a tutorial or esplain it to me..?

• 1. Re: Multi-Cam Enabled
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The Help file should have the requested information.

• 2. Re: Multi-Cam Enabled
            cfg_2451 Level 2

What it is, is the facility to turn on multi-camera editing. As Jim says, this is covered in the help system. You can probably uncover a fair amount just web searching for that term. But if you just want a quick synopsis...

What it's good for is using multiple cameras to shoot the same event. Say, shooting a class with a camera at the back of the room locked down showing the "wide view" and another camera showing the mid level views of just the presenter, and the closeups of props, etc. You import footage from both cameras in PPro, put them into a sequence as, say, video 1 and video 2. Then you nest this sequence into another sequence, call it multi-cam edit. Then you use that menu choice you found to enable multi-camera editing on this new sequence. Finally, bring up the mult-cam editor window. This shows you both camera angles at the same time, and allows you to pick which one gets displayed. It's as easy as clicking on the play button on the multi-cam editor window, then clicking back and forth to choose camera angle as you go. Quick, easy. Then you go in to the timeline and adjust fine-tune where those cuts occur using the rolling-edit tool.

You can use as many cameras as you like, but the more cameras you use, the more computer horsepower you need to show all the footage together in real-time. This is very useful if filming live events like concerts where you might have upwards of 20 cameras in use.

• 3. Re: Multi-Cam Enabled
              fnub Level 1

Hmmm, sounds interesting. Thanx for taking the time to explain this. I was searching the help files and right inthe middle of my search, Adobe decides that my help files need updating so while it was updating I thought I'd try the forum.

The technique that you're describing is different to the one I use for multi-camera edits. I have a background in audio production so my immediate assumption to edit with multi cams was to bring each camera to it's own track and spend a few minutes lining them up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWKcvkPx874

I wouldn't mind seeing a video on how your technique works with the multi camera option within that right click menu. I'm reading your response. I kinda get it. It seems that the only difference between what you and I are doing is the nesting - is that right?

Thanx again for your time.

• 4. Re: Multi-Cam Enabled
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Take a look at this Adobe TV tutorial: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-pro-cs6/setting-up-multi-camera-sequences/

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Multi-Cam Enabled
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is an older tutorial for CS 3. The mechanics have changed a bit, but for just concepts, there might be some useful tips, that can be translated to CS 6: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/creative-suite-podcast-video-professionals/mulitcam-in-premiere- pro-cs3/

Just watch for changes in PrPro from when this tutorial was created.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Multi-Cam Enabled
                    cfg_2451 Level 2

fnub wrote:

The technique that you're describing is different to the one I use for multi-camera edits. I have a background in audio production so my immediate assumption to edit with multi cams was to bring each camera to it's own track and spend a few minutes lining them up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWKcvkPx874

I left that part out -- sorry. Part of bringing your footage into a source sequence (video 1, video 2, etc.) is that you then have to sync (line up) the various camera feeds. PPro offers several ways to do this. More than I want to try to describe in a thread like this, and it is explained well enough in the help system (with links to on-line tutorials that show you exactly how to do it).

Adobe has also added Prelude to the mix -- as a more full featured way to ingest footage from multiple cameras and sysc that footage. It can act as a front end to PPro. Should make multi-camera work easier and more intuitive, but I've not used it yet.

fnub wrote:

It seems that the only difference between what you and I are doing is the nesting - is that right?

Probably. You can't run the multi-camera editor unless you have a place to put the results. Which is why you have to have the nested sequence.