• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I disable a button up to a certain point on the timeline?

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2012 Oct 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a series of buttons on the screen.

Is there anyway to have the buttons displayed for the whole length of the timeline, but disabled up until a certain point on the slide.

For example I want to disable the NEXT button for 4 secs, preventing the user clicking on it up to that point.

Right now, I hide the button for 4 sec - but this is not very elegant.

Any suggestions greatfully received !!

CP6 on Windows 7

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An event cannot be a certain time, so to disable a button for a certain duration is not possible.

However try out this workaround: put a click box on top of the next button (by definition invisible), time it for 4 seconds, without pausing and with 'No action' as choice for the action to be triggered. As long as the click box is on the stage on top of the Next button, the last one will not be available. Be sure that the click box is on top of the Next button in the Timeline!

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In addition to what Lieve described, I'll also advise of how I managed to do this.

Create an image of the button in a disabled state. That provides a nice visual cue that the button is disabled. Then insert the image in the same screen location as the button. On the timeline, present the image for the time the button is disabled. Then configure the image to disappear and at the same point have the button itself appear.

Worked a treat for my project.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rick

Think this is even a nicer solution idea than LilyBiri's idea as it provides a visual cue to the user.

Kudos to both of you.

Best Regards

Les

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion. Great idea.

Best Wishes .. Les

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources