7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 11:48 AM by Jim Curtis

Mercury engine disabled after reboot - Mac

JeffOps94

I have a rental Mac Pro that is configured with a Quadro 4000 and Premiere 6.02 -  all drivers and CUDA are up to date.  It's running Lion, has 32 GB RAM and a Kona 3 card.  Initially the machine came with the stock card and the Quadro both installed, but I took the ATI card out since that is not recommended by Adobe. The ATI was in slot 1, so I moved the Quadro to that slot when I removed the ATI.  The Mercury Engine works after I run the CUDA install app (v 5).  Everything is great until the system is restarted.  Then, without fail, the Mercury engine is disabled and runs in software only mode.  The only way to get it working again is to reinstall CUDA.  There were Black Magic drivers installed but I did an uninstall since I'm using the Kona.  I examined the supported graphics cards document for premiere and the Quadro 4000 is listed and the GPU Sniffer says that the card is being used as a CUDA device, but not as an Open CL device.

I've got an editor coming in Monday and I want this system to be working properly.  Any thoughts on what is causing this issue?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Mercury engine disabled after reboot - Mac
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You said all drivers are up to date... but read this anyway...

Mac & nVidia Driver http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1075592

• 2. Re: Mercury engine disabled after reboot - Mac
            needles27 Level 3

Is your MacPro running in 64-bit mode upon restartt?  Check here:

About This Mac > More Info > System Report > Software > 64-Bit extensions: YES

If you are on Mountain Lion, it is not relevent.

• 3. Re: Mercury engine disabled after reboot - Mac
              JeffOps94 Level 1

Yes it is in 64 bit mode and running Lion.  I tried updating drivers on Friday and it told me that I didn't need to update.  I seem to remember the GPU Sniffer showing me that I had the current diver for 10.7.4 Lion - 270.00.00f06

Also zapped PRAM and reinstalled the Kona drivers after uninstalling the Black Magic stuff.

I think some parameter got messed when both cards were installed.  Probably a Kext or someting.  What I don't know is how to set it right.

• 4. Re: Mercury engine disabled after reboot - Mac
                JeffOps94 Level 1

Well they are in session right now.  The issue still persists, but the system is functioning as expected.  The editor told me that with Premiere we should expect several crashes and restarts every day.  I'll just have to show him the CUDA installer so he can reinstall after each restart.  In the short time I have worked with Premiere I have found that logging out and back in usually gets things working again and this does not disable the MPE.

• 5. Re: Mercury engine disabled after reboot - Mac
                  shooternz Level 6

The editor told me that with Premiere we should expect several crashes and restarts every day.

That means something is wrong in your system and needs fixing. It is not the norm and no one should be expecting that kind of issue.

FWIW: I have seen maybe 2 crashes since the day CS6 was released whenever that was.

• 6. Re: Mercury engine disabled after reboot - Mac
                    JeffOps94 Level 1

His comment was about his own system in NYC.  He uses it all the time, I don't.  So I don't really have an opinion just yet.  I may get on the system and build a new system drive from scratch one evening this week and see what happens.

• 7. Re: Mercury engine disabled after reboot - Mac
                      Jim Curtis Level 3

I use Pr just about every day, and I concur with your editor: Pr crashes frequently and needs lots of relaunches, resetting prefs, and deleting of the Media Cache.  But, I usually manage to get it running again, for a while, until the next round of rinse and repeat.

I wish I could figure out what Shooternz is doing that I'm not.  Or, vice-versa.

Anyway... JeffOps, I salute you for your excellent OP in its clarity and breadth.  I wish that all posters here were as thorough and articulate at stating their grievances. 

What might be an issue is installing the latest CUDA driver with your OS.  The latest is for Mountain Lion compatibility (and a couple other bugs, listed on the nVidia site), and you have Lion. 

I jumped the gun on that myself, and I also ran the latest Dynamic Link Media Server updates, and although I'm not sure which is to blame, it wasn't an improvement.  So, I reverted back to The Devil I Know.  I know, I shouldn't have done two updates at once.  I normally wait until the "all clear" to do any upgrading, but I guess I broke my own rule this time.