11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2012 2:29 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Help getting an image to scale and move?

web.boards Level 1

I have a still image in the timeline and I select it to load it back in the Source Window.

- On the first frame I select the Position and Scale watch icons.

- I then click to add a keyframe for both Position and Scale.

- I drag the Playhead to the last frame

- I add a keyframe for both Position and Scale on the last frame

- I scale the image down on the last frame

- I change it position by typing in a new coordinate

However, when I drag through the clip with the Playhead nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Help getting an image to scale and move?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

If I understand your workflow, leave the Source Monitor out of the mix.

From the Timeline, Select the desired Clip/Still Image. Open the Effects Control Panel, and do your Keyframing there.

Good luck, and hope that helps with your Keyframing.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help getting an image to scale and move?
            web.boards Level 1

Doing it as you suggested, how do you reposition the clip and scale it after adding the starting and ending keyframes?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Help getting an image to scale and move?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

That depends on exactly what you need.

Let's say that you just want to adjust the two Fixed Effects>Motion>Scale and Motion>Position. All you need is to make that adjustment on the first Frame of the Clip.

If you want either/both of those parameters to change, over time, I like to set a Keyframe of each Effect, on the first Frame, even if I will not make any parameter changes yet. Then, where I want to start that animation, I will go to that point with the CTI/Playhead and add another Keyframe for each Effect (I think of that/those as a "hold Keyframe, but be careful of that term "hold," as there ARE Hold Keyframes - do not get confused). Then, I go to where I either want that animation to end and add a Keyframe at THAT point, adjusting the parameters to the Effect, or Effects.

Note that one can change the Interpolation of the Keyframes to perhaps smooth things out - when initially added, the Keyframes are Linear Keyframes, and maybe a Bezier would give one the look that they seek.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Help getting an image to scale and move?
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Here is a quick tutorial. I agree with Bill that you might want to change the keyframes after setting them to use Ease Out on the first one and Ease In on the second one. That reduces the jerky start and stop. If you are moving fast, that is very useful. If you are moving slowly the start and stop isn't as shocking, so I suppose you could skip it. But it doesn't take that long to change them, so why not? Just right click on the keyframe in the Effect Controls Panel and you will see your choices.

You will probably want to watch this full screen with the setting at HD.

If you are curious, the current name of that lion is Patience, and he guards the South side of the main steps leading up to the NYC Library. His partnet Fortitude guards the North side of the steps.

• 5. Re: Help getting an image to scale and move?
                  web.boards Level 1

I'm a bit confused.

I click on the stopwatch for both the Position and Scale, however I never click on the keyframe button. By clicking on the stopwatch, is that adding the keyframe at the point in the timeline where I press the stopwatch? Later I move the playhead and scale the image and it appears as if it is automatically adding a keyframe at that point in time?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Help getting an image to scale and move?
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Aha!!!!

Now I understand!!!

You just pointed out the issue. Great!

You can see that when I clicked on the stop watches, the next thing I did was to change a setting by changing the scale. As soon as I made that change, a keyframe was established. A keyframe is not established automatically unless a change is made.

However, if you start at a point where you are happy with the scale and position, then yes, you need to manually set the keyframes before moving the CTI.

(OK, I should get a "Correct" for this one!)

• 7. Re: Help getting an image to scale and move?
                      web.boards Level 1

I need just a bit more clarification, so hopeful a Helpful will do for now and then a Correct will be coming your way :-)

1. Where are the keyframes shown? I have show keyframes turned on in the Timeline, though I do not see any after making a still image scale up.

2. I'm able to click on the stopwatch on the first frame and then move the playhead to the last frame and scale the image up there and it works. However, if I want to click on the stopwatch and scale the image up on at that point on the first frame it doesn't work. What do I need to do?

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Help getting an image to scale and move?
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

The first one is easy enough. You are not looking in the right place. It isn't in the sequence, they are on the timeline in the Effect Controls panel.

You need to look in the Effect Controls panel - see the red circles around the keyframes. If your panel does not show the images timeline in the Effect Controls panel, the second image shows you the arrow to click on.

You might want to try putting the keyframes a bit in from the beginning and a bit in from the end. That way you can see the keyframes easier. Once set the way you want them, you can select the keyframes and move the to the beginning or the end as required. Do this just so you can see the keyframes easier at first. Warning, you might want to zoom all the way in at the beginning and the end to make sure the keyframe is at the beginning or the end. Sometimes dragging it does not get it all the way there.

Untitled1.pngUntitled2.png

Your second issue is possibly more complicated. If you set the motion parameters before you click on the stopwatches, and you do not change anything after setting the stopwatches, then you must  manually set a keyframe for each

If you set the stopwatches, then change the settings (both of them), the keyframes are placed for you. Once you move the CTI, if you change either motion setting, new keyframes will appear.

Let me know if this helps. Otherwise I will be more specific with my next tutorial.

• 9. Re: Help getting an image to scale and move?
                          web.boards Level 1

1. What is the show keyframes button in the timeline for then?

2. I guess what I'm confused by is, what is the point of selecting the stop watch, why not just set a starting and ending keyframe? I think that is the part that confuses me. I got it to work by selecting the stopwatch for position and scale, and then I drag the playhead to a different spot, add keyframes at then new location, go back to the beginning where it added the keyframes where I clicked on the stopwatch and scale it there. It works, is this the correct way of doing it? Just want to make sure I am learning it the right way.

Thanks for all of your help!

• 10. Re: Help getting an image to scale and move?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

The stopwatch turns keyframes on and off.

• 11. Re: Help getting an image to scale and move?
                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

The keyframes on the timeline in the sequence are for whichever one parameter you want it to be for. It could be scale, or position, or rotation, or it could be for opacity. But in the Effect Controls pabnel, you can see them all at once.

The stopwatch is required to instruct the program that keyframes are required. Otherwise, without the stopwatch, whatever you set is what it is going to be for the entire duration of the clip. Try it yourself without the stopwatch. You'll see what I mean.

You can set your stopwatches then move to the end and set the parameters, then go back to the beginning and set new parameters. That would work fine, and in some cases, is entirely appropriate.

Or, you can set the stopwatches, and either make a change of some kind, now matter how small or large a change, or you can click on the diamonds to create a keyframe for every parameter you plan on changing. Once you have keyframes at the beginning, move the CTI to the end, and make your changes. As with the first keyframes, the moment you change a parameter, a keyframe is created.

I just realized that it might be better to direct you to a full tutorial on the subject. Take a look at this and see if it doesn't answer all of your questions. http://library.creativecow.net/articles/devis_andrew/Premiere-Pro-CS6-Basics_43/video-tuto rial - it takes until about halfway through to get to where you want to see, but watch the entire thing anyway.

I recommend that you take all 78 of his CS6 tutorials actually. It might be a very good use of your time to get all of the free training before you invest too much time editing without knowing the easiest ways to do things.