0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2012 12:51 AM by gmp26

Is there any documentation on widget events in iBooks?

gmp26

I've seen very little detail on how to use edge published widgets in iBooks. The widget creation process is straightforward, but using them in an iBook is problematic. I have been testing the following work-flow:

1. Export from Edge Animate to Widget
      2. Use iBooks Author to import the Widget
      3. Copy the book to an iPad via iTunes and test

I've been using widgets created from the edge lessons to test this workflow. So far I've discovered:

• Widgets work more reliably if copied to the iPad though iTunes rather than by previewing them in iBooks Author.
      • It's important to supply a poster image of the same size as the widget stage as this appears to determine the size the widget will be displayed.
      • It's important to add touch events explicitly rather than click events.

Problems remain however which I feel could be solved by creating javascript which responds to whatever events iBooks generates when opening and closing widgets. I can find no Edge documentation on this. Widgets published by the above simple workflow may work briefly, but stop working after a few pages are turned. Once widgets stop working - that's it. The only way to recover is to close the iBooks app and reopen it.

Maybe this is a question for Apple, but I feel some pointers in the Edge documentation might help here.

I have for example found this thread that talks about special widget opening events: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3696472?start=0&tstart=0

There are some useful Apple docs here with sections on widget events.

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/AppleApplications/Conceptual/Dashboa rd_ProgTopics/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40003042-SW1

All good stuff, but it raises other questions like how to use some of the Apple provided widget libraries in an Edge widget? What code should be inserted to prevent the widget freezes that I see? Maybe a better workflow would be to develop in Dashcode, and add Edge Animations to the html of a DashCode maintained widget?

Mike