2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2012 3:33 PM by rob day

color palette

jj-master-j

I am trying to figure out where tthe collor palette like the one in Photoshop where you can pick a clor. In Indesign, when I click on color, it only gives you a predetermined color palette and if you have to double click the setting to change the color. So what if I want to see all the color and pick the one i like. Thnaks

• 1. Re: color palette
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sounds like you are looking at the Swatches panel rather than the Color panel. The Color panel offers a choice of  colorspace sliders (from the panel menu) and a small color ramp (expand the panel). Double-clicking the fill or stroke proxy will open  the Color Picker which is similar to the one in Photoshop, but not identical. Imporoper use of the ID Color Picker can accidentally change color defintions and I strongly recommend using the sliders in the color panel to mix colors instead.

• 2. Re: color palette
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The ID Color Picker, which you get by double clicking the Fill swatch in the Tool or Color panel, does not have Photoshop's HSB view, but the Lab, RGB, and CMYK options work the same as in Photoshop.

As Peter mentioned it can get tricky because the color or swatch you get when you click OK or Add Swatch depends on where your cursor is. So if your cursor is in the C, M, Y, or K fields you get Add CMYK Swatch, if one of the R, G, or B radio buttons are selected you get Add RGB Swatch, and the same for Lab.

If you are trying to get a CMYK mix you can use one of the Lab or RGB views, but your cursor needs to be in the CMYK fields when you make the final selection.