2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2012 9:53 PM by Steven L. Gotz

How to keep quality for 720x576?

yajyaj11

I'm making videos that will be displayed on 2nd hand 720x576 TV's. Before I knew that specification I was making the videos at 1080p and the quality was right. This is a large scale installation with many TV's synced together so I need the videos to be M2T and MPEG2 to fit with the system we are using.

I've tried exporting my 1080p project from premiere down to 720x576 MPEG2-DVD, (with top quality settings). I've tried making the video project 720x576 and exporting to that same size. I've tried converting the 1080 video down, (I've tried many programs including HandBrake).

The video just contains text scrolling up (like conventional movie credits). I've made this in Indesign to the same frame size as the Premiere file and exported to JPEG because InDesign doesn't export to anything better than I can see and Photoshop doesn't let me justify the text like it needs to be.

I have Premiere Pro CS5.5.

Any help would be great!

• 1. Re: How to keep quality for 720x576?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

For starters, I wonder if your expectations are just too high.  You can't get the same quality from SD that you have in HD.  That's the whole point of HD - better quality.

Next, Photoshop can justify text any way you want, if you know how to use the program.  And using Photoshop for rolling credits is often recommended because it typically produces the best quality end result.  Create your titles there in a 1080 wide PSD.  Bring that PSD into Premiere Pro and use Motion keyframes to simulate the needed scroll.

If it still looks bad, there are other things we can explore.

• 2. Re: How to keep quality for 720x576?
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

There are some rules associated with titles in DV.

This info has been around so long it is almost funny, but it never goes out of style.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hodgetts_philip/titles.php

Also, the speed of the scroll matters when working with interlaced footage. If the scroll looks wrong, change the speed ever so slightly. Keep doing that until you are happier with the results.