7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2012 5:45 PM by JerryGerber

Can I edit my LR 4.2 raw in PS 5?

JerryGerber Level 1

Hope I'm posting in the best forum.  My question involves ACR, LR and PS.

I upgraded from  LightRoom 4.1 to 4.2 with ACR 7.2.  I also use PhotoShop 5 with ACR 6.7.

My workflow includes processing raw files in LR.  If I suspect an image can benefit from Photoshop, I'll do a quick "Ctrl E" (Edit in Photoshop)  without first rendering, just  to see if improvement is possible. Sometimes there is nothing to be gained by the PS excursion, in which case I simply close PS, and continue work in LR.  If the image is destined only for print, I may indefinitely postpone converting the raw to tiff or jpg, since I print from LR. 

Now with different Camera RAW components in LR 4.2 (CR 7.2) and PS 5 (CR 6.7),  "Ctrl E" brings up a dialogue that includes the options to "Render using Lightroom" and "Open Anyway."  I'd rather not render before going into PS because I don't want to keep track of and later delete those conversions that turn out to be unnecessary.. 

I've tried "Open Anyway" on a couple of images, and to my eye the images look accurate--the same in LR and PS.  I use older cameras -- Canon 5D2, G11 -- that are available in both versions of ACR.

Can I get into trouble by opening a LR 4.2 edited raw in PS 5 if both ACR versions support my cameras?

• 1. Re: Can I edit my LR 4.2 raw in PS 5?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ACR 6.7 (used by Photoshop CS5) cannot read all of the adjustments made using Lightroom 4.2. That is why you are given the option to render using Lightroom. That rendering will create a TIFF or PSD file that contains the adjustments made in Lightroom. It is the only way you will be able to get all of your Lightroom adjustments into Photoshop CS5. This has been standard procedure with all versions of Lightroom and Photoshop when Lightroom is newer. In my opinion, your best option is to go ahead and render using Lightroom, and if you don't like the result when you return to Lightroom just delete the new file.

• 2. Re: Can I edit my LR 4.2 raw in PS 5?
            JerryGerber Level 1

JimHess wrote:

ACR 6.7 (used by Photoshop CS5) cannot read all of the adjustments made using Lightroom 4.2. That is why you are given the option to render using Lightroom.

I know that what you are saying is generally true, Jim, but in the case of LR 4.1 (ACR 6.7) to LR 4.2 (ACR 7.2), I haven't seen anything from Adobe that says the range of adjustments is different. 

The Adobe press on LR 4.2 talks only about bug fixes and expanded camera support. 

That,  and the fact that Adobe offers the option to  "Open [the ACR 6.7 image in ACR 7.2] anyway" makes me think that it is at least sometimes OK to do so.

I wonder if anyone else here has tried using ACR 6.7-edited images on 7.2?

• 3. Re: Can I edit my LR 4.2 raw in PS 5?

My "generally true" answer is the way it works. If you are getting satisfactory results opening anyway, then go ahead and do it. You will have to make that decision. It isn't going to break or damage your raw images. You just won't have access to all the controls. If you make adjustments in Lightroom using PV 2012, those adjustments will be read by ACR 6.7. However, if you open an image as a smart object intending to return to ACR, you won't have the PV 2012 sliders, but rather the PV 2010 sliders. But, yes, you can open anyway. There isn't a law against it, and it won't ruin your images.

• 4. Re: Can I edit my LR 4.2 raw in PS 5?
                JerryGerber Level 1

JimHess wrote:

If you make adjustments in Lightroom using PV 2012, those adjustments will be read by ACR 6.7. However, if you open an image as a smart object intending to return to ACR, you won't have the PV 2012 sliders, but rather the PV 2010 sliders. But, yes, you can open anyway. There isn't a law against it, and it won't ruin your images.

Could you explain further your comment about smart objects? 

Both ACR 6.7 and 7.2 feature PV2012.  (As I recall, ACR 6.7 was the first to offer PV 2012.  

ACR version 6.7 allows full compatability of PS 5 with LR 4.0 and 4.1.  So, aside from the added cameras and bug fixes, what else is new in LR 4.2 that might interfere with compatability?

BTW, I appreciate the dialogue.  It's sometimes hard to get responses on the weekend.

Jerry

• 5. Re: Can I edit my LR 4.2 raw in PS 5?

Your question suggests to me that you are not familiar with Smart objects, and I'm not going to go into detail about what they are or how to use them. However, if you notice in Lightroom when you are choosing to edit in Photoshop, one of the options is to open the image as a Smart object. When you do that, after you have begun your work in Photoshop, if need be you can double-click on the Smart object within the layers panel and the file will be opened in Camera Raw. But herein lies the problem; since you edited in Lightroom using 4.2 and PV 2012 you have made adjustments using those new controls. When that smart object reopens in ACR, you will only have the PV 2010 controls available. Consequently, you will not be able to fine tune your Lightroom adjustments fully. Again, if this is not a problem, go ahead and use the "open anyway" option. Lightroom 4.x And ACR 7.x both use the PV 2012 adjustments. ACR 6.7 only has the PV 2010 adjustments although it can read the PV 2012 adjustments from ACR 7.0, and this can cause some problems in some instances if the adjustments are extremely critical. It's something that you will simply have to evaluate for yourself.

The new process version has some very definite improvements in some areas. And as Lightroom continues to develop as well as ACR 7 there may be improvements that are undocumented. And any of those improvements that are made in the new process version will not be readable by ACR 6.7.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Can I edit my LR 4.2 raw in PS 5?
                    Noel Carboni Level 7

One area where Lightroom currently differs from Photoshop CS5 with Camera Raw 6.7 is in the area of Color Fringing.  Try removing some color fringing with the controls in LR4.2 and opening into Photoshop CS5 and look closely to see whether the color fringing you removed has returned.

No doubt it's starting to become clear that Adobe makes it all work together most seamlessly only when you keep all the parts up to date.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Can I edit my LR 4.2 raw in PS 5?
                      JerryGerber Level 1

Noel Carboni wrote:

One area where Lightroom currently differs from Photoshop CS5 with Camera Raw 6.7 is in the area of Color Fringing.  Try removing some color fringing with the controls in LR4.2 and opening into Photoshop CS5 and look closely to see whether the color fringing you removed has returned.

-Noel

Thanks for that reminder Noel.

I remember now that Eric Chan's fringe fix came out after ACR 6.7,  so  I suppose ACR 6.7 also loses the color fringe adjustments possible in LR 4.1.  I've been living with that limitation up till last week.  I haven't really noticed it, but it's not a good thing.

Adobe certainly does not make it inexpensive for us retired hobbyists to play with their finest toys!

Jerrry