7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2013 9:41 PM by Alexander E

Camera Raw 7.2 "Updating Settings" slow!

viveredesign Level 1

Hello,

Since updating to CR 7.2, and when copying and pasting develop settings from one DNG image to another, there's now a rather pesky slow pop-up dialog "Camera Raw | Updating Settings." It's REALLY REALLY SLOW to update the DNG images compared to CR 7.1 (about 7-10 seconds per image), and it's definitely slower than CR 6.x. It really impacts my workflow. I cannot understand why Adobe would push out an update that HUGELY slows down the CR workflow!

Does anyone else notice this or is it just my setup? (I've rebooted, recreated DNG files, etc., but this workflow-stopping dialog still pops up and users must wait for it to complete.)

I'm running on a Win 7-x64 machine with 8MB RAM (although CR 7.1 worked fine in this regard, as far as I can remember).

Does anyone know how to go back to CR 7.1?

• 1. Re: Camera Raw 7.2 "Updating Settings" slow!
          Noel Carboni Level 7

viveredesign wrote:

Does anyone know how to go back to CR 7.1?

It's almost trivial to do if you've squirreled away a copy of the prior version of the plug-in.  You just need to replace the Camera Raw.8bi file(s) with file(s) from the appropriate versions for 32 and 64 bits.

It's a little more difficult to return to 7.1 if you haven't kept a copy, but not impossible.  In that case, seek out the Camera Raw 7.1 download online, download it, and unzip it.  Work your way into it to find the two very large files, which aren't named what they'll need to be but actually contain the plug-in files for 32 and 64 bit versions (the folders they're in identify which).

Here are the sizes/dates on the pertinent files, and the naming convention I use to allow me to keep copies of each version of the plug-in in the folder, ready to be copied to the Camera Raw.8bi file in order to test a particular version of Camera Raw.  Photoshop must be closed down to make the copy.

The first set listed is for the 64 bit plug-in, the second set for 32 bit.

C:\TEMP>dir "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats"

Volume in drive C is C - NoelC4 SSD
          Volume Serial Number is 00ED-C11E

Directory of c:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats

02/09/2012  05:02 AM        23,220,080 Camera Raw.8bi
          02/09/2012  05:02 AM        23,220,080 Camera Raw.8bi_7.0
          05/16/2012  11:05 AM        24,639,896 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1
          04/25/2012  01:25 AM        23,401,328 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1RC
          09/19/2012  03:15 PM        23,786,584 Camera Raw.8bi_7.2
          08/28/2012  12:11 AM        23,777,984 Camera Raw.8bi_7.2RC

C:\TEMP>dir "c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats"

Volume in drive C is C - NoelC4 SSD
          Volume Serial Number is 00ED-C11E

Directory of c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats

02/09/2012  04:20 AM        20,904,304 Camera Raw.8bi
          02/09/2012  04:20 AM        20,904,304 Camera Raw.8bi_7.0
          05/16/2012  10:37 AM        22,285,208 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1
          04/25/2012  12:22 AM        21,053,808 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1RC
          09/19/2012  03:15 PM        21,372,504 Camera Raw.8bi_7.2
          08/28/2012  12:13 AM        21,364,416 Camera Raw.8bi_7.2RC

-Noel

P.S., I'm not seeing that pop-up.

• 2. Re: Camera Raw 7.2 "Updating Settings" slow!
            viveredesign Level 1

Hi Noel,

Thanks for the feedback. I was able to downgrade my CR to 7.1 by copying and renaming the downloaded 7.1 zip package file (AdobeCameraRaw-7.1-mul-AdobeUpdate\payloads\AdobeCameraRaw7.0All-x64-160512110605\Assets 1_1\1002) to Camera Raw.8bi in the folder you indicated.

However, after closing and re-opening Bridge 5.0.1.23 x64, it does launch Camera Raw 7.1, but that "Camera Raw | Updating Settings" dialog still pops up and still takes a ridiculously long time to process any changes to my DNG images. So it seems that it's caused not to Camera Raw 7.2, but the 5.0.1.23 Bridge Update?

Is anyone else seeing this problem or is it something unique to my system?

• 3. Re: Camera Raw 7.2 "Updating Settings" slow!
              Yammer Level 4

I had the problem (I think), but I downgraded to 7.1.0.354 and it's okay again now. I have just been through the process of testing new camera profiles, and I've been applying profiles to several hundred images at a time. I was having to wait minutes for the initial dialogue box to appear in Bridge, but it was okay after that. Another problem was that the thumbnails and previews were taking an eternity too. I'm not quite ready for a new computer just yet.

• 4. Re: Camera Raw 7.2 "Updating Settings" slow!
                viveredesign Level 1

I was able to shorten the duration of the "Updating Settings" dialog by nixing the noise reduction to 0 by default--only using when I need it. However, when CS6 was first released in the late spring, this dialog (and delay) was non-existent! Too bad things got worse rather than better.

• 5. Re: Camera Raw 7.2 "Updating Settings" slow!
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

viveredesign wrote:

Does anyone else notice this or is it just my setup? (I've rebooted, recreated DNG files, etc., but this workflow-stopping dialog still pops up and users must wait for it to complete.)

In your Camera Raw preferences, do you have the option to Update embedded JPEG previews on or off? Unless you are using some 3rd party DNG viewers, you don't want this checked because depending on the capture size, it can take a long time to write the JPEG previews for a DNG. You don't need this option on for Bridge because ACR automatically rips a new Bridge preview anyway.

BTW, if I copy/paste settings to DNG files (1Ds MIII & IQ 180) , I'm not seeing any delays other than Bridge updating the previews and I certainly do see a dialog box telling me Updating Settings.

• 6. Re: Camera Raw 7.2 "Updating Settings" slow!
                    viveredesign Level 1

Thanks Jeff! That was exactly it! Unchecking the "Update embdded JPEG previews" in Camera Raw Preferences eliminated this dialog completely.

• 7. Re: Camera Raw 7.2 "Updating Settings" slow!
                      Alexander E Level 1

I work with time lapse, and I do them in raw, cause some times they need heavy tweaking to look correct. And this has been a very big problem for me, when I have thousands of raw files to update the settings on, and it takes hours and hours, literally.

Thank you for the answer to my problems. Now it takes only seconds per sequense (around 900 files). Thank you!