8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 3:46 PM by the_wine_snob

The production hangs up

Milo White 63 Level 1

I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 10 to make a DVD.  My computers OS is Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium.  It has 4 GB of physical memory.  The processor is a Pentium(R) Dual-Core   E5800 @ 3.20GHz  3203 Mhz.

I have not changed any settings in the Premiere Elements 10 software.  When I review the production an elements gets hungup even though the blue flag moves on.  After several elements, it starts to work again but hangsup again.

Also when I open the saved production, the elements that were gathered are very slow to fill in.  I move the scroll bar, wait for the elements to fill in and advance the scroll bar about 4 elements and wait for them to fill in.

Once the gathered elements are filled in I go to the screen line and have to advance a few screens at a time and wait for the elements to fill in.  I get about 1/2 way through the elements and the scroll bar is all the way to the right position, but not all the elements are showing.

Now I go to the time line and have to page through from beginning to end to have it fill in.  When I go back to the screen line I can fill in more of the elements. 

After all elements are loaded the hangup problem still occurs.  I left the computer run for about 10 minutes thinking it would catch up.  It does not.  If I page back toward the beginning on the screen line, there are blanks screens that fill in if  I wait. 

Is there a way to find out if all my memory (RAM) is being used up?  The computer has 6.41 GB of availabel virtual memory.  My hard drives have plenty of memory.

• 1. Re: The production hangs up
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say if your Windows 7 if 64-bit or 32-bit. If it's 32-bit then, no, the program won't use more than 3 gigs of your RAM.

But that's probably not the issue. It's more likely a combination of your using improper settings for your project and your computer not being powerful enough to edit your format of video.

1) What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? Did you use Premiere Elements to get the video from the camcorder to your computer?

2) What are your project settings (under Edit/Project Settings). If you're using the proper settings for your project, you will not see red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline. Is that the case in your project?

• 2. Re: The production hangs up
            Milo White 63 Level 1

Steve,

Thank-you for the reply

My Windows 7 is 64 Bit.  I did not use a camcorder.

I used pictures and videos taken from an iphone (apple) , pictures and video from a Samsung PL210 camera and pictures and videos from a CanonELPH 300 HS .  I don't know the resolution, but I noneof them is a high resolution camera.  I put all the photos and movies from the cameas and but them into a file on my hard disk.  I got the media from the hard drive.  I have some titles I made with PAINT and some narrition I made using a Logitech microphone.

There are 5 types of elements in the production:

1.  .png     1 title                                                                          28 KB                                       This really seems big.  Should I use PAINT and make a .jpg file?

2.  .jpg       184 silll pictures @ about 2.9 mb each                                             368 mb

3.  .wma    21 narritives @ about 100 mb each                                                  2100 mb

4.  .avi      42 movies @ about 100 mb each                                                      4200 mb   

5.  .mov     21 movies @ about 120 mb each                                                     4200 mb

All this said, the production is about 50% complete. 

The production as it now exists is 23.5 minutes long.

As for the project settings:                           I don't thing I changed anything  

There are three types

1.  General

Editing Mode:      DV NTSC

Timebase:            29.97 frames/second

Video

FrameSize:                  720 x 480

Pixel Aspec Ratio         D1/DV NTSC (0.9091)

Fields:                           Lower Field First

Display Format:           30 fps Drop-Frame Timecode

Title Safe Area:            20 x 10

Action Safe Area         10 x 10

Audio

Simple Rate:                 48000 Hz

Display Format:            AudioSamples

Capture

CaptureFormat:            DV

2.  Video Rendering

Maximum Bit Depth   (( not checked ))

3.  Previews

File Format:                  Microsoft AVI DV NTSC

Compression:              DV NTSC

Optimize Stills              ( (this box is checked ))

I hope all this will help solve the hangup problem.

Would installing more RAM memory be the solution?

Dick Sell                        

• 3. Re: The production hangs up

You will need to use a program like Photoshop Elements to resize your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size.

And then, once you place the photos on your timeline, you 'll need to render your timeline whenever you see red lines above your clips by pressing Enter.

Do that and your hang-up problems should go away. At least as far as your photos are concerned.

If your AVIs and MOVs are not coming from a camcorder or are from a still camera, they may not work in Premiere Elements because they likely use the MJPEG codec.

Also, as you're working, you can zoom in and out of your timeline by pressing the + and - minus keys on your keyboard. To see all of your movie at once on your timeline, press the backslash key (\) above the Enter key.

• 4. Re: The production hangs up
                Milo White 63 Level 1

Steve,

Again, thanks for answering.

I tried to render the production because the red line was appearing in the timeline.  I pressed enter and it started the presentation from the beginning, but when it got to where the timeline had the red bar it quit.  I then pressed E nter again and it started the production from the beginning again a stopped when the blue flag got to where the red bar was.

I used the (timeline) from the menu and clicked on -render the work area - (or something like that) but what it did was start showing the production from the beginning and again it stopped when the blue flag got to where the red bar started.

Dick Sell

• 5. Re: The production hangs up

Have you removed everything but the photos from your project and ensured that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size?

The challenge is that you've likely got a number of issues going on at the same time: Your computer is only marginally powerful enough to edit video, you're possibly using oversized photo in your project, your project has the wrong settings for your video source and you video may be using codecs which challenge the program. (It's also possible, if you have less than 30 gigabytes of clean, defragmented free space on your hard drive, that it's not able to page your files.)

So you're going to have to troubleshoot it one step at a time. And I recommend your first start with your photos.

Then, if you can download either G Spot or Media Info and open your video files in them, we can figure out what codecs your video is using and see if we can work with it.

Also, never use WMA audio in a Premiere Elements project. Technically, it's possible. But it can also choke your production. Convert your audio to a WAV for much more efficient performance.

• 6. Re: The production hangs up
                    Milo White 63 Level 1

I opened Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 to change the pizal size of the photographs in my presentation.  I opened the first picture and found the pixal size to be 3776 x 2687.

The window that showed this information did not allow me to change the pixal size.  I could ould change the image size, but this did not alter the pixal size.  Can I change the pixal size in Photoshop?  How?

• 7. Re: The production hangs up

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you can change the image size but not the pixel size.

If you've opened Image/Resize/Image Size and you have Scale Styles, Constrain Proportions and Resample Images checked, you should be able resize your photo to any size you want.

You can also resize several photos at once using File/Process Multiple Files, as I show you in my book.

• 8. Re: The production hangs up
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

This article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798?tstart=0 will tell you how to Scale your Still Images in either Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements.

With a 64-bit OS, your 4GB of RAM is just about enough to run the OS, and little left over for programs. With Win 7 64-bit, it is best to be running 8GB minimum, with 12, or 24GB being better still.

Also, with any material, that requires much CPU processing, a Pentium D will be way underpowered.

Take a look at this FAQ Entry, for setting up your system, to run a program, like Premiere Elements best, and also for troubleshooting: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt