9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2012 11:22 AM by martinpat1

Blu-ray Scenes Menu - What the £@!£? - So angry

martinpat1 Level 1

I've logged previous messages here with regard to problems I've had burning AVCHD disks with menus that look correct. In short, dragging an image onto the template produces a screen image with vertical bars either side. Replacing the image in Photoshop works up to a point - but there are still issues with highlights that do not overlap the original text. I've spent hour after hour trying to correct this - no luck. And the quality of the Scenes Menu is terrible, considerably worse that the Main Menu. These issues have been mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

So I bought a blu-ray burner hoping that blu-ray discs would product better results. And to a point, there is an improvement. The Main Menu image is actually very good, but again the Scenes Menu is terrible. And whilst the highlights work fine on the Main Menu, the Scenes Menu continues to be an enigma - 95% of times, it doesn't work (terrible picture quality, incorrect highlights) but occasionally it's fine - there is no pattern to it whatsoever. I've spent hours trying to find out why this is and am none the wiser. What the f%£@ is going on? I'm seriously p*&$ed off with this %^S software. Trying to burn on a rewritable disc is a complete pain too - every attempt takes forever, waiting for the disc to stop whirring in the drive, then it not being recognised etc etc I've yet to burn a project that I consider to be a success and am not going to settle for anything less than perfect.

Surely someone else has these problems? Why just the Scenes Menu? Other than complaining on these forums, isn't there a way of emailing Adobe directly? I've downloaded an update which claims to address bugs highlighted on forums, but clearly nobody at Adobe has read these messages or can't be arsed to sort them out.

Would love an expert on this site to tell me what the hell is going on!

• 1. Re: Blu-ray Scenes Menu - What the £@!£? - So angry
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're using the proper workflow (ie, the proper project settings for your video source, menu templates that are designed for HD, etc.), these things should not be happening.

Without knowing much more about your situation, I can't even speculate what specifically is going on in your case though.

• 2. Re: Blu-ray Scenes Menu - What the £@!£? - So angry
            martinpat1 Level 1

The project settings are correct (even if I let Elements set the project based on my HD video the same things happen), and there are vertical bars regardless of the project setting. I have downloaded the trial version of PE11 and the same thing happens. Here's are before and after screenshots to demonstrate that the image doesn't fill the screen:

Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 19.37.54.pngScreen Shot 2012-10-09 at 19.38.32.png

Does this not happen on your system? Is it because I'm using a mac? What I find strange is that the full screen is not 16x9 but is considerably wider!! Why is this?!

There is certainly evidence out there on this site that this background image problem has been around for a while - both you and Bill have commented on it before!

• 3. Re: Blu-ray Scenes Menu - What the £@!£? - So angry

You continue to give us lots of anger, but still none of the information I suggested above that we'd need to be able to help you.

We don't even know what model of camcorder your video is coming from or what your project settings are.

• 4. Re: Blu-ray Scenes Menu - What the £@!£? - So angry
                martinpat1 Level 1

It's only mock anger, I assure you! But I am incredulous at the situation, given that these issues have seemingly been reported before. Last night I had an online chat with an Adobe representative; I watched while he took control of my computer, investigated project settings, file properties, etc, and also had no success, despite consulting with his team, finally admitting defeat after an hour and conceding there is a fault. The incident is now logged and I am assured that they will contact me...we'll see. I passed him details of my posts (hello again if you're reading this...).

The camcorder info is totally irrelevant to my problem! There is no problem whatsoever with the video output - it looks fabulous - and the project settings have always been correct (HD, 1080i etc) for my media. It has only ever been about the menus.

• 5. Re: Blu-ray Scenes Menu - What the £@!£? - So angry

Sounds like you've drawn your own conclusions and don't need my advice.

Maybe someone else will chime in with help for you.

• 6. Re: Blu-ray Scenes Menu - What the £@!£? - So angry
                    nealeh Level 5

It sounds as though there is something not right at the system level (rather than PRE) if you are having trouble burning to rewriteable disks.

martinpat1 wrote:

Here's are before and after screenshots to demonstrate that the image doesn't fill the screen:

Those background images are different so I don't think you can really describe them as before and after screenshots.

From what you say though it is now logged with Adobe, so it may get resolved in later versions.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Blu-ray Scenes Menu - What the £@!£? - So angry
                      martinpat1 Level 1

I don't really want to read too much into the disc burning problems...I've always found that rewritable discs are more temperamental than one-time discs, even with PCs...the computer wants to read what's on the disc, and that slows things up, especially when it's with an external unit that won't actually play the disc itself (I don't have blu-ray reading software on my mac that will read it)...and so the disc whirs while it works out what to do with it...There's no problem with one-time discs, so I know there's no issue here.

Yes, the background images are different but they are before-and-after in the respect that I'm adding my own image, as PE10 expects me to. It doesn't matter what size image I add, there are bars left and right. Just once it displayed correctly on the Preview which took me by surprise...but that's not happened since. Besides, if I add my own image in Photoshop, the image displays correctly...and I would be quite happy to use this workaround if it wasn't for the new problem I encountered that the Scenes Menu quality is very poor and button highligh alignments aren't correct...MOST of the time! Occasionally it works, which is what I'm struggling with...the complete randomness of it!

Maybe it is at the system level...but the rep checked it all, and system-wise I'm fully up-to-date so I don't see how. We'll see what Adobe come up with...IF I hear back!!!

Thank you both for your comments.

• 8. Re: Blu-ray Scenes Menu - What the £@!£? - So angry
                        nealeh Level 5

martinpat1 wrote:

We'll see what Adobe come up with...IF I hear back!!!

If they do, and resolve it, do please post the solution back to this discussion topic.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Blu-ray Scenes Menu - What the £@!£? - So angry
                          martinpat1 Level 1

I have news - but not great news.

Response from Customer Support:

Hi Martin,

This is regarding case no.- 183706274 where you were facing issues with the menu templates. It looks like a bug and same has been reported to the Engineering team. They will try to fix it and most probably it will be fixed in the next coming version as whole complete code has to be recreated to get it fixed. So it will take some time. Very sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

DVA team

Surely this should have been corrected in PE11? They've known about it for a while.

Also, I have isolated the Scene Menu quality problem. After numerous attempts to locate the problem, I've discovered that it comes down to having Motion Menus. If this is selected, problems - poor quality background image and misalignment of highlights. Not selected, PERFECT.

I cannot believe it's as simple as this, and yet nobody has found this out!!!! Reported to Adobe Support; let's see if they acknowledge this (they haven't so far...).