5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2012 5:59 PM by ndkl85

FPS

ndkl85

I have been working on this video for over a year now. Everything was fine and dandy until we switched cameras. Our original video was converted to quicktime, and avi files with a frame rate of 29.97 fps, 720x480. Our new HD camera that we have attached outputs MTS files with a frame rate of 60 fps, 1440x1080. When I import to my main timeline the playback time is very choppy and hard to edit because of the choppiness of it. Is there anyway to import the MTS HD video files into my main timeline without having to make a new sequence and export as a different file? Exporting the files at the highest quality is taking at least 20-40 minutes for clips that are 00:00:30 - 00:02:30 and just dont have the time to mess around with settings and finding which ones will match. So getting to the point. Is there anyway to bring the sequences that are 60 fps into the 30 fps sequences without choppiness of real time playback or it won't make the video gigantic in the view?

• 1. Re: FPS
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Chances are your footage is actually 30 fps, but is mislabeled by the camera as 60i.

The playback stutter is more likely because your computer just isn't up to the task of editing that highly compressed media.

• 2. Re: FPS
            ndkl85 Level 1

I have a macbook pro 13inch thats running 8gb RAM with Intel core 2 duo. I realize the processor isnt the best but the RAM should be sufficient enough to handle that task. I bring all the MTS videos into my bin, right click and make new sequence from clip. When it is in a new sequence, with the right settings, the bar above is yellow, it renders just fine, and the playback is more than sufficient. But when I bring it into my main timeline the bar turns red and the playback is very choppy.

• 3. Re: FPS
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Since you are putting the video into a sequence with different settings, you will have to render. Just hit the Enter key and let it render. The red line should turn green and you should play back just fine. What happens is that the conversion you want to avoid takes place using temporary files so that Premiere Pro can play it back smoothly. They are just used for viewing, not for export (unless you tell Premiere Pro specifically to use the render files when you export). So it will not cause any additional quality loss upon export.

• 4. Re: FPS
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I realize the processor isnt the best

That's the part that really matters here.

The line turns red because the HD footage doesn't match the SD sequence you're using it in.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: FPS
                  ndkl85 Level 1

Thank you guys for the help! Got all of it situated, now the video just went over 4.7gb and I am unable to burn it to a single layer dvd. On to dual layer. And I guess it is about time for a new macbook, or imac, if I am going to be doing this more often. Thanks again guys!