5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 1:46 AM by DDBellDesign

Can you convert a web document to a print document?

DDBellDesign Level 1

I know most people want to do this the other way around, but I have a web document that was created for an ipad, and I now need to somehow make something fit for press from that file. I didn't create the original file, and I'm not familiar at all with the formatting, as I've only ever done very straighforward work in InDesign, for instance I can't select/edit the text at all, I wonder if it's tagged so as to link to a different part of the book, I was hoping that if I converted the document, all that might go away and I might be able to edit it?

How would you go about this task?

Can someone help please?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can you convert a web document to a print document?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It sounds either like it might have been built by placing the pages from another document into this one,  or the layers or objects are locked.

It's easy to check for locks: Open the layers panel and expand the layers. Look for little lock symbols. If that's what it is, either unlock them there by clicking the lock symbol, or in the Preferences, under General,  uncheck Prevnet Selection of Locked Objects. This will allow you select inidividaully locked objects, but if the ntire layer is locked you'll have to deal with that in the layers panel.

If the file is really linked pages, it will show up in the Links panel.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can you convert a web document to a print document?

I hit post before finishing.

If the file is built fom another document, you need that other document to do any editing. Also if this was originally designed for web, there's a very strong probability that any images it contains are lacking in quality for printed output, so you may well be chasing a rainbow.

• 3. Re: Can you convert a web document to a print document?
              DDBellDesign Level 1

Thanks for this. For the images, it's not so bad, I've got the high res versions of them, but it's the text that's the problem, it's not locked, but I've just realised it's actually set up as  paths?! Very random, but there's definitely no editing from here as far as I can tell, so it looks like I'm going to have to redo everything form scratch. Sigh...

Thanks for your help

• 4. Re: Can you convert a web document to a print document?

DDBellDesign wrote:

it's the text that's the problem, it's not locked, but I've just realised it's actually set up as  paths?!

Could be. Not a good workflow, especially for the web. Can you select it with the selection tools?

You might be able to recover the text by exporting to PDF, then run OCR in Acrobat Pro.

• 5. Re: Can you convert a web document to a print document?
                  DDBellDesign Level 1

I can select the path/text normally with selection tools. So at the very least I can resize. I can't work out why anyone would set up the file like this. I'm no InDesign expert, but at least my files are usable by other people when I'm done with them!

I hadn't thought of OCR, I'll see what my client thinks. Thanks again