12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2012 9:41 AM by ECBowen

Good Premiere pro Cs5.5 Video Editing Computer Set Up For Under $3000

jared_023

Hey everyone im hopeing to hear for Harm Millaard input on this and anyone elses who understands PC computers for video editing. I need to build a computer set up for my specific needs. I am a youtuber who makes videos for a living and I need a speedy computer for editing primarily in premiere pro CS5.5 and sometimes in After effects. I use magic bullet 2.0 color grading in almost all my videos so that slows my computer down alot. The current computer I have now shuts off when ever it runs to much stuff and gives me the BSOD so its extreemly fusterating because editing something small can take me all day because of the constent shutting off. Mostly does BSOD when I uses Magic Bullet 2.0 I shoot with DSLR footage but once in a while it will happen out of the blue when running alot of things but mostly when exporting. I need a list of specs that will all work together to give a perfect workflow for my needs and I also would like advice on what Raid because I dont fully understand it as well as what back up drives etc should I have. I plan of buying the specs and having someone build it for me and set up raid etc that knows how to do all that. In case some of you wonder what type of computer I have now these are the specs if you need more information on what I have in my computer ask exactly what info you want to me to tell you and ill look it up.

specs.png

If you have advice on specs I dont have to re-buy that I could take out of this computer to save money then that would be better as well. I currently have no back up external drives as well so Idk what I should buy for that as well. Thank you all for your time a head of time!

• 1. Re: Good Premiere pro Cs5.5 Video Editing Computer Set Up For Under $3000
          JFPhoton Level 3

Well!!!!.....where do I start??  You must spend some time here reading all the valuable info that has been presented and discussed many times here. Basically, PPro is a very demanding , PROFESSIONAL program that needs beefy and SPECIFIC hardware to run properly.

AMD CPU will not cut it.....it lacks the necessary instruction set that Intel has that apply to video processing.

You need a fast Intel i7 CPU for starters.

You do not mention video card.....NVidia CUDA card of over 1GB video memory is required to enable the "Mercury PlaybackEngine", which provides a TEN TIMES INCREASE  in rendering speed of previews.....not to mention accelerating the export process by handling some specific effects during export.

Some DSLR codecs,( like Canon MOVs) cause PPro....which is a 64bit program..... to open the 32 bit " Quick time Importer" process, ( as Quick Time is 32 bit), slowing down the process, even with good hardware. Editing highly compressed consumer codecs,( AVCHD,etc.) in real time ,then exporting can be very taxing on a computer, requiring top -notch components. Even if you do it the old way and transcode to a more edit friendly codec before editing.....you would then need a larger,faster disk system to handle the huge files at a high speed!!!

16GB system memory is OK for 5.5.....with 6 and later, 32GB is better.

Two separate hard drives are the required minimum for PPro......currently, the best performing and cheapest setup would be : C drive=  120GB quality SSD, D drive = 2x 7200 RPM HDDs in onboard RAID 0 for pagefile,previews, and all cache files.  E drive= same setup as "D", for media,project files, and export.  F drive =  large 7200 rpm disk for necessary backup of important files and backup of "D" drive. All drives should "indexing" and" compression" turned OFF,( under drive Properties window).

Less expensive would be just three separate 7200 RPM HDDs...that could be OK with just DSLR footage which is so compressed that it requires less actual MB/sec., unless you are using many tracks of video, upping the requirement needed.

Read the many posts and articles by Harm Millard and Bill Gehrke....they have contributed a tremendous wealth of knowledge and experience to the readers.....preventing many from making bad purchases and expensive mistakes when trying to construct a machine that will perform well....their website, PPBM5 is invaluable as it can show you all the video benchmark results of differently configured machines. It is a good guide as to what you may want to build,or, purchase.....Good Luck!!

• 2. Re: Good Premiere pro Cs5.5 Video Editing Computer Set Up For Under $3000
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I know very little about color grading, especially with MagicBullet.  I would suggest searching these forums on Magic Bullet and see what other people have to say about its compatibility with Premiere CS5.5.  BSOD sounds like a software/driver problem

When you look at the PPBM5 benchmark test results be careful comparing different versions of Premiere as the test results for CS5.5 are slightly than results on CS5 because the Adobe changed the caching algorithm and then in CS6 they added many new features which caused some slower CS6 results.  I would suggest that you click on the "Brand CPU" heading and all the AMD processors are listed first, and you can see about three FX 8150's tested.  Notice that the highest scoring FX 8150 is about 529 out of over a 1000 tested systems.  Also notice that those two systems are using nVidia GTX GPU's to attain those scores.

• 3. Re: Good Premiere pro Cs5.5 Video Editing Computer Set Up For Under $3000
              jared_023 Level 1

Well I have a Graphics card thats a Asus engt430 1g - geforce gt 430 - nvidia geforce cuda

I also forgot to mention I have 4 hard drives 2tb each 7200 rpms. One is a 2tb hitachi hds723020bla642 ata device and the others 3 are seagate barracuda st2000dm001 2tb, 7200rpm 64mb, sata 6gb/s. P.s I followed harm millard hard drive setup.

I have a canon T2i dslr and I export Mpeg2. I dont fully understand why it would switch to 32 bit? how can I know how to check if my computer is doing this?

I think the AMD thing is were i went wrong when I thought I was purchasing a video editing computer about a year ago. I thought I did enough research to pick one out that would be good enough for my needs.

I have a Mother Board named    GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

I also have 700w atx PSU

I want to possibly use what I already have and add components from the warrior section of this posting? what do you guys think I should do? Adobe Community: What PC to build? An update...

• 4. Re: Good Premiere pro Cs5.5 Video Editing Computer Set Up For Under $3000
                jared_023 Level 1

Magic Bullet 2.0 is compatible with cs5.5 thats what I installed it under when they asked what you want to install it for. I recieved a BSOD when I first got the computer. I was installing windows 7 to my computer and it did the BSOD but I didnt know what it was at the time so I restarted and tried again and it worked then I experenced it when exporting video as well. It mostly happends when exporting video. I can export regular dslr footage but when I color grade, or speed up the footage real fast then go to export half the time it shuts off on me in the middle of exporting.

I also have no clue what you were saying when you started saying "I would suggest that you click on the brand cpu..etc" and after. I was trying to understand what you were saying but I lack understanding on what you were speaking about sorry for my ignorance =[ I am willing & wanting to learn more. Thank You for everyones help! 

• 5. Re: Good Premiere pro Cs5.5 Video Editing Computer Set Up For Under $3000

The GT 430 has only 96 CUDA cores and the much slower DDR3 video memory.  You would have to enable it in the Adobe "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file but it would be a waste of time because your CPU only would probably be faster.  If you can spend about $230 get a new GPU like the GTX 660 and then add that name to the file above.   Do your color changes in CS5.5 and make sure that they are the CUDA accelerated effects and remove the Magic Bullet to see if you get rid of the BSOD problem. 

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

When you are looking at the PPBM5 results page find the column heading "Brand CPU" and click on it and all the AMD processors will be at the top of the 1039 test results.

• 6. Re: Good Premiere pro Cs5.5 Video Editing Computer Set Up For Under $3000
                    jared_023 Level 1

So your saying locate the cuda_supported_cards then paste "cuda_supported_cars.txt" in the file somewhere if I get a card that is compatible like the one you stated.

I know this has nothing to do with it but I forgot to mention in previous post that my ram sticks on my computer are ddr2 

do you have any suggestions based off my previous comments above to what I could do to upgrade my current system or take specs form my current system to save money and build a new computer with i7 etc? what do you think I should do in this situation?

I will try the reinstalling magic bullet

• 7. Re: Good Premiere pro Cs5.5 Video Editing Computer Set Up For Under $3000
                      jared_023 Level 1

HEY what do you know I just got the BSOD so i took a picture. I had a bunch of stuff open was not exporting and this happend. I was downloading a youtube video using realplayer and I had crome and internet explorer and premiere open but I had not started my project yet in premiere..

BSOD.jpg

• 8. Re: Good Premiere pro Cs5.5 Video Editing Computer Set Up For Under $3000
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>paste "cuda_supported_cars.txt" in the file

No... you paste the name of your card into the text file

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557

• 9. Re: Good Premiere pro Cs5.5 Video Editing Computer Set Up For Under $3000

1.  Do not try reinstalling MB, completely remove it and see if your BSOD's go away!

2.  Have you opened "cuda_supported_cards.txt"?  What you have to do is type in the proper name of your your card such as "GeForce GT 430" to have it able to do any MPE hardware acceleration.  But as I said the GT 430 is such a weak card that you probably will not see any performance improvement, and possibly it could even slow you down

3. You could buy a new graphics card and it would be portable to a new Intel based system.  Your drives would be good in a new motherboard/CPU/memory.system

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

Thank you John!

• 10. Re: Good Premiere pro Cs5.5 Video Editing Computer Set Up For Under $3000
                            jared_023 Level 1

If i got a new motherboard/cpu/memory.system would i have to reinstall all my programs or would they stay installed from on my hard drive?

• 11. Re: Good Premiere pro Cs5.5 Video Editing Computer Set Up For Under $3000

Sorry but you would have to star from the beginning.

• 12. Re: Good Premiere pro Cs5.5 Video Editing Computer Set Up For Under $3000
                                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Unfortunately that BSOD is either incorrect configured ram/timing detection or a driver issue trying to access ram that is locked by another device. You have to start with the ram configuration and make sure that is correct. Then move to the video driver. I suggest you contact the ram manufacturer's support and walk through your ram configuration with them for AMD.

Eric

ADK