3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2012 11:59 PM by Pierre Devereux

Twixtor usage

Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

Just a quick one, I did some looking at the Twixtor manuals, but they are still rather Greek to me  - I dont mind doing the research, but I do not want to waste time looking for something that is not there, SO... here is my question -

Can Twixtor be used to slow down only parts of a video layer? For instance, a character sitting at a desk, I want his arm to move at 50% and the rest of his body at 25%. Can this be done without multiple layers and masks?

Thanks guys

Pierre

• 1. Re: Twixtor usage
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You will need the Create Vectors effect and tweak it based on separate inputs, then apply it to the final target output, meaning you need to mask your stuff, then feed it into the vectors effect and combine multiple instances of this effect using channel effects to massage the motion field and finally use that as the input in Twix Pro. Well, it's still geeky... Depending on what you do, masking the layers directly and using the masks as guides in Twix Pro might also work, but you still need multiple layers to combine everything...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Twixtor usage
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can it be done? Yes and easily if your arm stays attached to the body when you re-time the move. Just put the arm on a separate layer and retime that. You will have to clone in the BG where the arm was removed in the bottom copy. Depending on the shot this can be easy or hard....

And yes if you follow Mylenium's advice. It's not a click and solve solution, it's a think about it, build the appropratte components, experiment to see what you've got, then render solution. It all depends on the motion you want to control. Both will require multiple layers.

• 3. Re: Twixtor usage
              Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. Thats just what I needed to find out. I will now spend the time researching the full uses of Twixtor Pro. Funny thing that... we had a three week debate on whether we needed Twixtor, or Twixtor Pro. I mailed their support, and they replied (and I was pleasantly surprised at their honesty) that if I did not understand what the extra features of Twixtor Pro were for, I probably wouldnt need it!

So we purchased Twixtor standard (my argument being, that to upgrade to Twixtor Pro has no additional cost, you just pay the difference between the two) and I am greatly impressed with the results of slowing our characters down quite a lot. They really come to life on set now.

Here is my new challange.

I am focused on specific tests and tasks at the moment, we have our year to get all our ducks in a row ( we are very fortunate with the working environment we are in) and can afford to spend time testing different solutions and effects. The problem with this, is that when I am researching a specific effect, I tend to focus completely on it, and not look at the bigger picture (that is the I.T. proffesional in me, fighting against the new "Creative" me) - the result, is beautiful movement for the characters just being "Alive" and then noticing that a larger movement (say an arm and hand working at a console) is also moving at a very slow speed!

So, my new line of research, will be to determine how to use Twixtor Pro to have a character seated, and working at a console, and still use the ultra slow movement for his body (the parts that should be "Still") and a normal speed for the parts that are actually moving.

Well, thanks once again guys, I cannot express enough how helpfull this forum has been to me, from day one!

Pierre