3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 10:38 AM by L. Guy O'Rojo

Populating InDesign document with external data?

coleman_as

Hi All – I hope I’m asking this question in the correct forum. I’m assuming that this is a scripting issue, but if it’s not, I apologize. Anyway -  am wondering if this is possible, and if so, if someone could point me in the general direction of further information:

My company occasionally asks us to produce employee directories that include information (photo, contact info, education info, etc.) about various segments of the Firm population – for example, one directory might include all women of color, one might include everyone in the Los Angeles office, etc. I would like to find a way to “template” this in InDesign so that the relevant info can flow into the document from an external data source – for example, HR’s SQL database or maybe a spreadsheet generated from that database. I know that we are currently able to do something similar using Word, but the end product looks like crap.

I’m not sure what this would even be called in InDesign, so any info will be greatly appreciated. I'm using version CS5. Thanks!