• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Firefox Hangs with Flash Player 11.5 with ProtectedMode Disabled

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Flash 11.4.something all the way through 11.5 beta. The entire browser locks up and stops responding while sound keeps playing in the background. When it does work, videos play at something like 5fps. I just give up and terminate the process. I've never been more infuriated than this with buggy software before. This version of Flash is the lowest quality garbage I've ever seen in my life (even worse than crapware toolbars) and there has been no response from Adobe for over a month now.

I've declared myself rid of Flash and have completely disabled the Flash plugin in all my active browser profiles on all my home and work computers. This way website statistics will show that less users are Flash enabled and it will hasten Flash's demise. If I'm forced to use Flash to view a website, I use an alternate browser profile with the plugin enabled in private browsing mode so that the web site statistics don't track the Flash-enabled session as part of my regular visits. While I disagreed with Steve Jobs views years ago, I now see that he was absolutely right in banning flash from mobile devices. Good riddance; seriously.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original thread has become too long and convoluted to be useful.  I'm separating out the individual issues so that we can effectively track and follow up on them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way that the thread was organized, it didn't move over your other replies.  I've pasted them here for completeness and removed them from the original thread..  I'll follow up with suggestions in a minute. 

> Firefox Stable, Beta and Aurora versions. All three lock up within seconds of a Flash object loading on a page. The version bundled with IE10 on Windows 8 however doesn't crash.

@KurianOfBorg - Did you ever try temporarily disabling Flash Player's protected mode?  See towards the bottom of this FAQ - How do I troubleshoot Flash Player's protected mode for Firefox?

> I did but it had no effect. It used to work fine with protected mode enabled on 11.3 and 11.4 betas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first guess based on what you're describing is that this is related to ProtectedMode, but it sounds like you've disabled it already. 

It would be helpful to make sure that it's disabled, otherwise we're going to spend a long time barking up the wrong tree.

The easiest way to confirm this by looking in Task Manager (hit Alt-Ctrl-Del and choose Task Manager) while you have Flash content open in Firefox. 

If you see any FlashPlayerPlugin_xx_xx_xx_xx.exe processes listed when you have Flash content running, you have not disabled protected mode.

My second guess is that this is related to Hardware Acceleration, and is specific to Firefox.  This is also really easy and painless to rule out.

Try disabling Hardware Acceleration in Flash Player by doing the following:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/video-playback-issues.html

If that's not it, I'm thinking that you've probably got a third-party application installed that's incompatible with changes in either Firefox or Flash Player.  When I look at the aggregate crash statistics, we're actually crashing close to 50% less in Flash Player 11.4 vs 11.3.  If this was a widespread generic problem, I'd definitely see a correlation in the Firefox crash reporting, but I don't.  It would also have popped up in the thousands of hours of automated and manual testing we do prior to a release. 

We've seen a number of instances of third-party apps causing incompatibility issues in recent weeks.  The most common source of this issue is Trusteer Rapport, which is provided for download by a lot of banking websites.  Installers for some online MMORPGs designed to monitor activity and prevent bot accounts and gold farming do similar things, as well as some lesser-known anti-virus, anti-malware and "capture Flash video to disk" products.  All of these applications are using creative techniques for hooking into the browser in order to monitor activity between the browser and Flash Player for one reason or another.  As Flash Player and Firefox iterate (Firefox releases a major version every 6 weeks), we're seeing that those types of applications quickly fall out of sync and cause problems.

It would be super helpful to collect the following information to understanding what's going on.  The more complete the information is, the better I'll be able to diagnose or recreate the problem.

1.) In Firefox, type about:crashes in the address bar

2.) If the link starts with "bp", the crash report has been submitted already.  Just right click and choose Copy Link.

If the link starts with anything else, click it to submit the report, then copy the link.

I'd like the first 5, if you have a bunch.

3.) In Firefox, type about:support and copy the contents

4.) In Firefox, type about:plugins and copy the contents

5.) Give me the exact URL of some piece of content that causes you to crash consistently, or exact step-by-step instructions with URLs if you have to do a few things to make it happen. 
     Not all Youtube videos are created equal, and the hardest part of fixing a bug is reproducing it.  Once we can reproduce it, it's pretty easy to get a fix and make it available in the beta.

6.) Try restarting firefox with all plug-ins disabled and let me know if the issue persists.

Click Firefox > Help > Restart With Add-Ons Disabled

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Protected mode was disabled when I tested it with ProtectedMode=0 was since there were no external Adobe Flash * processes running; there was only Firefox.exe. I have since re-enabled protected mode. I also tested it with H/W acceleration disabled and it didn't help.

There are no Firefox crash reports in the list since Firefox has never actually crashed and popped up the crash report dialog. It either hangs on Flash pages for 2-3 minutes and then resumes functioning very poorly until I close the relevant tab. I normally terminate the browser process, or terminate the protected mode Flash processes if I want to save the other open tabs. Neither of them produce crash reports in Firefox. Terminating the Adobe Flash processes causes the plugin content region to show the crashed symbol and the browser instantly becomes responsive again.

Almost every YouTube video (except the HTML5 ones since I activated the HTML5 beta) plays for a few seconds and then video starts dropping frames and the entire browser starts becoming unresponsive or stops responding altogether. This is the most recent one I viewed that froze the browser completely: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPcYfd6jK34&feature=g-u-u

Another problem on YouTube is the "frame size" buttons don't work sometimes. Sometimes nothing happens when I click on the frame buttons and sometimes it zooms into just the top left quadrant of the video. This issue also started only with the 11.4.x update.

"Restart With Add-Ons Disabled" only disables add-ons and not plugins. I've tested it with add-ons disabled and have manually disabled all plugins (Silverlight, Office, Nvidia) except for Shockwave Flash. It still freezes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification.  Firefox's crash reporter does try to record hangs, but they need to time out.  I believe the timeout is 3 minutes. 

You might want to reproduce it and let it timeout to see if it catches something useful.  If 5 minutes have gone by, whatever is happening is escaping their hang detection. 

We definitely want to be able to reproduce and debug this.  Can you please provide the rest of the debugging details that I requested?  I want to build out a box that's as close to identical to yours as I can get.  If you're not comfortable posting the details in the thread, just click my name and send me a private message with the details.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Application Basics

Name Firefox
Version 16.0
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0
Profile Folder
Enabled Plugins about:plugins
Build Configuration about:buildconfig
Crash Reports about:crashes
Memory Use about:memory

Extensions

Adblock Plus2.1.2true{d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}
Fox To Phone1.2.2truesendtophone@martinezdelizarrondo.com
OpenDownload²3.2.2true{210249CE-F888-11DD-B868-4CB456D89593}
Pocket3.0.0trueisreaditlater@ideashower.com
Reliby1.5.0truereliby@gemal.dk
Search By Image (by Google)1.1.1true{ce7e73df-6a44-4028-8079-5927a588c948}
Test Pilot1.2.2truetestpilot@labs.mozilla.com

Important Modified Preferences

accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar0
browser.cache.disk.capacity1048576
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_runfalse
browser.cache.disk.smart_size_cached_value266240
browser.fixup.alternate.enabledfalse
browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction0
browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion4
browser.search.useDBForOrdertrue
browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID20121002073616
browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone16.0
dom.disable_window_move_resizetrue
extensions.lastAppVersion16.0
general.autoScrollfalse
gfx.color_management.enablev4true
gfx.color_management.mode1
gfx.direct3d.prefer_10_1true
keyword.enabledfalse
network.cookie.prefsMigratedtrue
places.database.lastMaintenance1349805436
places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages23580
privacy.cpd.offlineAppstrue
privacy.cpd.siteSettingstrue
privacy.sanitize.migrateFx3Prefstrue
security.disable_button.openCertManagerfalse
security.disable_button.openDeviceManagerfalse
security.warn_viewing_mixedfalse

Graphics

Adapter DescriptionNVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
Vendor ID0x10de
Device ID0x1080
Adapter RAM1535
Adapter Driversnvd3dumx,nvwgf2umx,nvwgf2umx nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver Version9.18.13.623
Driver Date8-30-2012
Direct2D Enabledtrue
DirectWrite Enabledtrue (6.2.9200.16384)
ClearType ParametersClearType parameters not found
WebGL RendererGoogle Inc. -- ANGLE (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580) -- OpenGL ES 2.0 (ANGLE 1.0.0.1041)
GPU Accelerated Windows1/1 Direct3D 10
AzureBackenddirect2d

JavaScript

Incremental GC 1

Accessibility

Activated 0
Prevent Accessibility 0

Library Versions

Expected minimum versionVersion in use
NSPR4.9.24.9.2
NSS3.13.6.0 Basic ECC3.13.6.0 Basic ECC
NSS Util3.13.6.03.13.6.0
NSS SSL3.13.6.0 Basic ECC3.13.6.0 Basic ECC
NSS S/MIME3.13.6.0 Basic ECC3.13.6.0 Basic ECC

Enabled plugins

Find more information about browser plugins at mozilla.org.

Find updates for installed plugins at mozilla.com/plugincheck.

Help for installing plugins is available from plugindoc.mozdev.org.

Shockwave Flash

File: NPSWF32_11_5_500_80.dll
Version: 11.5.500.80
Shockwave Flash 11.5 r500
application/x-shockwave-flashAdobe Flash movieswf
application/futuresplashFutureSplash moviespl

NVIDIA 3D VISION

File: npnv3dvstreaming.dll
Version: 7.17.13.623
NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
application/mozilla-3DV-streaming-pluginnpnv3dvstreamingrts

NVIDIA 3D Vision

File: npnv3dv.dll
Version: 7.17.13.623
NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
image/jpsJPEG-based stereo imagejps
image/pnsPNG-based stereo imagepns
image/mpoMulti-Picture Format imagempo

Silverlight Plug-In

File: npctrl.dll
Version: 5.1.10411.0
application/x-silverlightnpctrlscr
application/x-silverlight-2

Microsoft Office 2010

File: NPSPWRAP.DLL
Version: 14.0.4761.1000
The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
application/x-sharepointSharePoint Plug-in for Firefox

Microsoft Office 2010

File: NPAUTHZ.DLL
Version: 14.0.4730.1010
Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
application/x-msoffice1414.0.4730.1010*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines