7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2012 9:12 AM by Jon Chappell

Only first character of plugin name is shown

Jon Chappell Level 3

I'm developing a plugin using the Transmit API and for some reason it's only displaying the first character of the display name in the Playback window.

Screen Shot 2012-10-08 at 3.26.42 PM.png

The code is as follows:

#define PLUGIN_DISPLAY_NAME L"My Plugin"

memcpy(&outPluginInfo->outDisplayName, PLUGIN_DISPLAY_NAME, sizeof(PLUGIN_DISPLAY_NAME));

I thought it could be because it's expecting a uint16_t array but the L macro produces a wchar_t array, however when I created a uint16_t array it still exhibited the same problem.

It's worth noting that the example Transmit API code in the SDK suffers from this issue too.

Currently my workaround is to not provide the outDisplayName at all which causes Premiere to populate it with the filename of the plugin bundle, but I would prefer to set the name programmatically.

I am running Premiere Pro CS 6.0.2 on OS X 10.7.4.

• 1. Re: Only first character of plugin name is shown
          Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Hi Jon,

This was a bug specifically on Mac OS, and I've since fixed this in the sample.  The problem is that wchar_t is 32-bit on Mac, not 16-bit.  So I reused the utility code I provided for other SDK samples:

copyConvertStringLiteralIntoUTF16(PLUGIN_DISPLAY_NAME, outPluginInfo->outDisplayName);

This function is defined in another SDK utility file, which you can include like so:

#include "SDK_File.h"

• 2. Re: Only first character of plugin name is shown
            Jon Chappell Level 3

Thanks Zach. I can confirm that this works.

• 3. Re: Only first character of plugin name is shown
              Jon Chappell Level 3

My plugin is now working flawlessly with Premiere but both my plugin and the Transmit API example plugin experience the following problems in other apps:

Prelude - If you play back a clip and then try to stop it, the playback button still shows a "stop" icon and it's very difficult to get the clip to play again. Switching off video output to these plugins fixes the problem.

Encore - Video plays back twice as fast as it should (audio plays at the proper rate). Switching off video output  solves the problem and the video and audio play in sync.

• 4. Re: Only first character of plugin name is shown
                Zac Lam Adobe Employee

The issue with the SDK's transmit sample plug-in when running in Encore is because the transmitter doesn't implement an audio clock.  I have this issue fixed in an updated version of the SDK transmitter.  If you are not transmitting audio, you can just use one of the built-in plug-ins for audio transmit, rather than setting it to the SDK Transmitter.  I'd imagine this is the same root issue in Prelude.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Only first character of plugin name is shown
                  Jon Chappell Level 3

I'm not transmitting audio and outAudioAvailable is set to false. Should I be setting it to true?

• 6. Re: Only first character of plugin name is shown
                    Zac Lam Adobe Employee

If you're not using it, you can leave that set to false and set outClockAvailable to false too.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Only first character of plugin name is shown
                      Jon Chappell Level 3

Thanks Zach, that now works with Encore but the problem with Prelude remains. The "stop" icon won't change to "play" and if I click it then it just steps forward by a single frame. I think for now I'll just disable the plugin in Prelude. This issue is reproducable with the sample code but if the Prelude team needs extra info I'm happy to provide it.

Another issue I've found is that with certain types of footage (I've witnessed it with HDV thus far), every so often as I step through it jumps timecode numbers. So it will jump from 00:00:00:06 to 00:00:00:08 and then remain there for two frames before continuing on to 00:00:00:09 as normal.

If I then log the frame time to the console, I can see that Premiere is saying that those two frames have the same time, even though they appear as distinct frames in Premiere.