7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 9:56 AM by DrunkCyclist

Selected color profile for new images from "clipboard" is wrong in CS6

DrunkCyclist Level 1

I have given up trying to find the answer to this myself.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Take a screenshot of something in your web browser (macintosh CMD+SHIFT+4) to the clipboard.

2. Select File > New from the menu. Clipboard should be the selected Preset.

3. Notice how in CS6 the color profile under "Advanced" is "Display" and NOT "sRGB" — in CS5 it is sRGB.

4. Paste from the clipboard into your new document and get the color profile mis-match warning if you are in CS6.

It is either not picking the color space of the clipboard properly like it will in CS5, or I am missing something somewhere.

Nothing I do in an attempt to fix this is working. I have sRGB set as my default profile in color settings, and nothing I do changes this setting for the "Clipboard" preset.

I am getting sick of forgetting to manually select "sRGB" every time, opening up a new document sized to my clipboard and then getting the color profle mismatch warning when I paste in the clipboard contents!

I take so many screenshots as I develop websites this is a CONSTANT problem as I am constantly creating new documents from the clipboard to check alignments, zoom in to get color samples, and many other reasons.

Message was edited by: DrunkCyclist

• 1. Re: Selected color profile for new images from "clipboard" is wrong in CS6
          Level 7

Is your display profile sRGB?  If not, then what you are describing is correct - the OS adds the display profile to the screenshot, and Photoshop recognizes that profile (which is not sRGB and thus gets a mismatch warning).  Photoshop CS5 had some problems recognizing profiles in pasted content, depending on the version of MacOS.  If no profile is found, it defaults to the working space profile (sRGB in your case).

• 2. Re: Selected color profile for new images from "clipboard" is wrong in CS6
            conroy Level 5

I can confirm what Chris says. CS6 is correct and CS5 was wrong.

A screenshot in the clipboard (or dumped on the desktop) that was taken by a screenshot shortcut key combo should have your display device profile. The screenshot profile should not be sRGB unless you've set up OS X to use the sRGB profile for your display.

I find Ps CS6 is correct in giving New "from Clipboard" the system display device profile.

I find that CS5.1 is wrong because it defaults New "from Clipboard" to sRGB when the clipboard contains a screenshot with my system display device profile. That sRGB default is regardless of the "Working RGB space".

Both CS6 and CS5.1 correctly warn of a profile mismatch if I try to paste a screenshot which has my display device profile into a document with a profile other than the display device profile.

A screenshot taken with Grab is a different story. It has no profile and can be pasted into any document without a warning appearing.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Selected color profile for new images from "clipboard" is wrong in CS6
              DrunkCyclist Level 1

Well that makes sense then. I started to wonder if that was what was happening because it does make more sense that a screenshot on the clipboard would have the "device" profile vs. the sRGB.

However my confusion is that if I take a screenshot, create a new document where "Display" has been selected for me as the color profile, as soon as I paste the clipboard contents into this new document I get the mis-match warning.

So are all new documents set to my working profile regardless of the clipboard contents or is the new document's working space supposed to match the clipboard contents?

I think the former explains why I get the mis-match error when I try and paste into the newly created document — however this only seems to happen with screenshots. If I right-click the little photoshop icon at the top of this page for example and copy it to the clipboard, "Generic RGB" is selected as the profile when I create a new document, and I can paste the clipboard contents into that document without the mis-match warning.

• 4. Re: Selected color profile for new images from "clipboard" is wrong in CS6
                conroy Level 5

If you right-click on the Ps icon at top of this page and pick "copy" then you are not taking a screenshot - you are copying an image from the web document displayed in the browser. If the image in the web document has no profile then the image in your clipboard will have no profile.

CS6's New "from clipboard" will be initialised with the profile of the image in the clipboard, but if that image has no profile then the profile field in the New dialogue will default to whatever "Working RGB Space" is specified in Edit > Color Settings.

• 5. Re: Selected color profile for new images from "clipboard" is wrong in CS6
                  DrunkCyclist Level 1

OK, then if a new file created from the clipboard will be initialized with the profile of the image in the clipboard — why do I get a mis-match error when I go to paste the contents of the clipboard into the newly created document? That is what is confusing me.

It makes sense that an image with no embedded profile would not throw an error like that.

Or is the new document being created with the working RGB space regardless of what is on the clipboard?

I am assuming that if the new document from clipboard contents is supposed to match the color space of the clipboard contents I would not get a profile mis-match error since they should be the same?

• 6. Re: Selected color profile for new images from "clipboard" is wrong in CS6
                    conroy Level 5

DrunkCyclist wrote:

OK, then if a new file created from the clipboard will be initialized with the profile of the image in the clipboard — why do I get a mis-match error when I go to paste the contents of the clipboard into the newly created document? That is what is confusing me.

That would confuse me, too, but it doesn't happen here with Ps 13.0.1 on OS X 10.6.8.

You can verify the profile of the clipboard content in Preview app. Do "File > New from Clipboard" then "Tools > Show Inspector". The profile name will be where I've indicated below:

Screen shot 2012-10-09 at 15.27.03.png

• 7. Re: Selected color profile for new images from "clipboard" is wrong in CS6
                      DrunkCyclist Level 1

That helps a little. It explains why "Display" is selected when I create a new from the clipboard in PS.

The ColorSync profile from a screenshot opened in the Preview App shows up as "Color LCD" in the inspector.

So, I assume what is happening in PS is that the new document is being created in the working color space and my clipboard contents don't match that and therefore causes the warning?

I could see getting a warning if I create a new document from the clipboard in PS and it embeds the "Display" profile within it, and then I try and paste something which has an sRGB (or other) embedded profile, but I was assuming the new document from the clipboard contents would have the same color profile as the clipboard contents.

I just don't get why I get a warning when I create the new document and the very first thing I try and do is paste the clipboard contents into said document.

However, when I select "sRGB" from the dropdown list instead of "Display" in the PS dialogue box it does not give me the mismatch warning.

Although the warning does say my source and destination document are both using the "Display" profile but my working space is sRGB.

The more I think about it, I may have just checked the "Don't show again" box in CS5 if I ever had the same issues and therefore never dealt with that again!

I am going to go read as much as I can about the color profiles in PS. I used to deal with this a lot as a print designer but not so much anymore working in UI design. I only really look into these issues when I get weird color shifts on saved files and things of that nature.

Thanks for taking the time to explain some things!