2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 10:08 AM by swevenfilms

Question about working with FLA's

swevenfilms

Hey everyone --

I have a general question about Flash and working with FLA files.

My knowledge of Flash is limited as it has been a very long time since I have used Flash extensively, so any help would be great. I have a client that needs me to replace audio clips within a flash movie on thier website. It is one single video (swf) on the website, yet the file they sent me includes 8 different FLA's, so basically, they broke the single video down into 8 individual pieces and then put them all together in the final product (somehow).

My first question:  is this standard practice or should they have kept the entire video within one single FLA? Is there an easy way to export the individual FLA's together, or, again, is this poor practice on whoever created them like this in the first place?

Also, how do I work with these? Do I simply cut and paste the fla timelines in each of the 8 FLA's and create one single FLA, then export the final SWF?

And ... is there an easy way to listen to the audio in the FLA so I can replace what is needed?

Thank you !

-Mark

• 1. Re: Question about working with FLA's
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

it's common (and good practice) to create one main swf (published by the main fla) and to load other swfs (published by other flas) into the main swf when needed.

you determine which is the main swf and which are loaded.  you also may need to find the code that loads the non-main swfs but from the sound of your project, you may not need to do that.

also, the audio clips may be loaded into swfs.  so, if those were sent, they are probably loaded dynamically and you will need to find that code or rename the new audio so its file name matches the old audio file names.

• 2. Re: Question about working with FLA's
            swevenfilms Level 1

"it's common (and good practice) to create one main swf (published by the main fla) and to load other swfs (published by other flas) into the main swf when needed."

How exactly is this done ? Is it already in the actionscript ?