5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 11:14 AM by malcy990

PRE11 -If not maximized, windows desktop corrupted

malcy990

I have just installed the PRE11 Trial on a Wndows XP SP3 system and a Windows 7 system.  On both I notice the same incorrect behaviour.   If  run with the main PRE window so that it is not maximized, and then 'drag' the window around the desktop remnants of the PRE window are left behind concealing the desktop data that I was looking for.   The only way to correct this is to maximize PRE and then minimize it.

Has anyone else noticed this?

• 1. Re: PRE11 -If not maximized, windows desktop corrupted
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How much memory is on your video card? (Not your RAM -- your video card.) And how fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have.

This really sounds like a refresh issue.

• 2. Re: PRE11 -If not maximized, windows desktop corrupted
            malcy990 Level 1

I have a 2.2Ghz Dual Core processor, 2GB RAM.  The video card has 512Mb on it.   However, I would doubt that it is a resource issue.  The problem exists even if I have an empty workspace.  No otther application on my system exhibits this behaviour, no matter how much I load the system.

• 3. Re: PRE11 -If not maximized, windows desktop corrupted
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This definitely sounds like a refresh issue based on your system being at the lower end of the program's real world hardware requirements. This would be especially true if you're editing something other than miniDV.

If nothing else, I'd definitely recommend you upgrade to at least 4 gigs of RAM.

• 4. Re: PRE11 -If not maximized, windows desktop corrupted
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know about the min/maximize issue, but I do know that video editing needs up to date hardware drivers

What brand/model is your video card, and what is your driver version?

Do not rely on Windows Update for non-microsoft driver updates... you need to go to the vendor web site

• 5. Re: PRE11 -If not maximized, windows desktop corrupted
                  malcy990 Level 1

The video card is an Nvidia 7300GT at the latest driver updated yesterday.  Although this may be at the lower end of what is needed for video editing, I have successfully generated several videos.  

Let me repeat my observation that the error can be exhibited with an empty workspace, so PRE is not using ANY CPU at all. All other applications manage to get the window redraw correct.   Many years ago I was a programmer developing Windows GUI Applications, and these sort of issues used to occur because the application did not set the necessary indicators on the Windows API to cause a complete redraw after the window was resized.   Could the same be true for PRE?

Has anyone else tried reducing the size of the main PRE window, and then dragging the window around the desktop.

I would also observe that PSE 11 Preview works perfectly in this area, I can reduce the size of the main windo and drag around to no ill effect.