3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 2:03 PM by jbowden

How to take an element out of a symbol and back to stage?

CamShazam

I want to take an element and its animations out of a symbol and back on stage. The reason I would like to do this is because I realize I need this element to be behind another element (which is not inside the symbol) and the other element inside the symbol to be on top of both. I tried to look around on the interface but could not find that as an option. I also tried to copy the element and paste it to the stage, but the element did not paste the same. And of course I googled, but could not find a solution.

• 1. Re: How to take an element out of a symbol and back to stage?
          jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi there,

When you copy the element within the symbol, make sure to do a Paste All (Edit > Paste Special > Paste All) on the Stage - that will bring all the transitions along with the element.

Once you've pasted, you can click the Auto-Keyframe button in the timeline (the one that looks like a stopwatch) so that it's off, position the element on the Stage where you want it, and then turn Auto-Keyframe back on.

hth,

Joe

• 2. Re: How to take an element out of a symbol and back to stage?
            CamShazam Level 1

It didn't work too well for me since I had animations to the symbol outside the symbol. So I had to copy and paste those outside animations to the newly pasted element and even then it wasn't alligned with the original element so I basically had to manually allign the new element to the original element for every animation.

I guess my new question is, if you converted an element(s)  into a symbol and later on realize you didn't want it to be a symbol, are you able to reverse this without loosing the changes you made to the elements when it was inside the symbol?

• 3. Re: How to take an element out of a symbol and back to stage?
              jbowden Adobe Employee

Hmm...not sure I fully understand why copy/paste didn't work for you - if you positioned the elements to where you wanted them to be, then everything should be fine?

CamShazam wrote:

I guess my new question is, if you converted an element(s)  into a symbol and later on realize you didn't want it to be a symbol, are you able to reverse this without loosing the changes you made to the elements when it was inside the symbol?

Currently, the only options would be either to undo converting to symbol, or cutting/pasting elements from the symbol to the Stage. Can you explain what changes you are losing when you paste the copied elements to the Stage?

Thanks,

Joe