16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2012 11:02 AM by Sterfry75

Photoshop is using more RAM than I have allocated in the Performance tab

Sterfry75

Hello,

I have allowed Photoshop to used just over 9GB of RAM, yet after a few hours my computer will begin to run very slowly (i.e. music skipping in Pandora, any work in PS starts stuttering), and when I check the Windows Task Manager it shows that Photoshop is using over 14GB of RAM. Shouldn't this never happen? Photoshop seems to keep eating RAM until there is nothing left on my system. I have 16GB of RAM, an i7 CPU and an ATI 6800 with ~700mb of RAM on it. The whole system is a Dell XPS 8300 running Windows 7 64bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have to restart Photoshop every few hours to fix the problem.

• 1. Re: Photoshop is using more RAM than I have allocated in the Performance tab
          Curt Y Level 7

Rather than restarting you might try Edit/purge.

• 2. Re: Photoshop is using more RAM than I have allocated in the Performance tab
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The mem allocation in the prefs is working memory reserved for data. This doesn't mean that otehr stuff could not use more like certain third-party filters staying loaded in memory for quicker access or similar hocuspocus. Also such excessive memory usage may indicate issues with your system's swap disk and PS' own swap file...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Photoshop is using more RAM than I have allocated in the Performance tab
              Sterfry75 Level 1

thanks, that helps clear up some issues. I do not run any third party plugins with PS, but I bet it's the swap disk. Since I finally bought a prebuilt computer, I'm not certain what the hard drive speed is, and I've read that i should have a separate internal HDD to use as the swap drive for PS. I plan on either getting a solid state drive or a WD caviar black drive, or both if my computer has the power. Once i can try a new HDD out I'll come back with an update.

• 4. Re: Photoshop is using more RAM than I have allocated in the Performance tab
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Just having Photoshop's scratch volume set to the system volume should not cause memory consumption to grow, though it could be involved with your "stuttering" issues.

Mylenium is right - you have a very specific problem with some component - possibly even your display driver - causing a memory "leak".  Photoshop does NOT do that in the general case.

Can you describe in general what kind of work you do with Photoshop for those few hours when the memory usage seems to grow?

Also, what tool are you using to determine that it is Photoshop that has aloocated the RAM?  Are you sure it's not some other application that's got it?

It might help to post a screenshot of the pertinent readouts.  It could be that you're misinterpreting what you're seeing.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Photoshop is using more RAM than I have allocated in the Performance tab
                  Sterfry75 Level 1

I am an illustrator, so I'm generally just painting on a single PSD file, with as few as five layers, and as many as 50. The number of layers doesn't seem to make a difference.

I have attached a screen grab so you can see what my whole setup looks like, hopefully it will give some clues? As you can see, PS is using over 13GB of RAM under the Processes tab in the task manager. I tried Edit-> Purge, but that doesn't seem to do much of anything.

It's also hard to track when exactly the memory leak is happening, because I can't sit and watch the task manager all day while I'm working. I did for a few minutes keep the task manager open while I was working, and noticed that the Memory would increase by 3-15MB for nearly every brush stroke or pan movement. I imagine after a few hours it eventually climbs up to 13-14.5GB.

I have the most current drivers for my video card, which is some sort of custom AMD Radeon HD 6800 with 735MB of ram that Dell put in my XPS8300.

Thanks again for the help guys.

• 7. Re: Photoshop is using more RAM than I have allocated in the Performance tab
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Sterfry75 wrote:

I did for a few minutes keep the task manager open while I was working, and noticed that the Memory would increase by 3-15MB for nearly every brush stroke or pan movement.

That, specifically, is where you're seeing something completely different than I am, and where you need to concentrate.

I just painted the bejezus out of a 3600 x 2000 pixel canvas in 4 layers, laying down literally thousands of strokes with everything from soft round brushes to bristle brushes to leaves and grass, and I couldn't get the Memory (Private Working Set) value to increase more than 1 megabyte the entire time. For most strokes there was absolutely NO change in that number. I started at 8,060,220K and it just got to 8,061,384K as I turned the image into a complete mess, with almost every pixel coverered multiple times.  Note that I had started at a number that high because I've been working on a big astroimage for hours in another document.

As I have an ATI 7850 card my setup isn't really THAT different from yours.   Are you running the AMD Catalyst 12.8 drivers?

I don't have a tablet.  Is it possible your tablet driver (assuming you're using one) is chewing up that RAM?

-Noel

• 8. Re: Photoshop is using more RAM than I have allocated in the Performance tab
                      conroy Level 5

Noel, History records pixels changed by a brush stroke, and each large stroke with a large brush can increase memory consumption by many MB, depending on the state of History. For example, I'm seeing a repeated almost 50 MB increase in memory consumption each time I paint over a 4K x 1K pixel region of a layer with a new colour, and about 30 MB each time I paint the 4 million pixels on Background. It's a 16-bit per channel doc. That doesn't excuse the OP's memory use growing beyond the limit specified in Preferences, of course.

• 9. Re: Photoshop is using more RAM than I have allocated in the Performance tab
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

You're forgetting one thing, conroy:  The History only stores a limited number of states, after which it reuses the memory.  That's why I did not see the memory usage going up.  Every new stroke caused an old History state (I keep 100) to be purged.

This will no doubt have happened for Sterfry75 as well, after hours of editing.

So the question remains:  Why does a brush stroke for one person chew up megabytes of RAM in a long-lived editing session, while for another it doesn't?

-Noel

• 10. Re: Photoshop is using more RAM than I have allocated in the Performance tab
                          conroy Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

You're forgetting one thing, conroy:  The History only stores a limited number of states, after which it reuses the memory.

I most certainly did not forget about History only storing a limited number of states.

Noel Carboni wrote:

That's why I did not see the memory usage going up.  Every new stroke caused an old History state (I keep 100) to be purged.

I understood that. I suspected you had overlooked it, in fact, when you wrote that painting did not increase your memory usage.

Noel Carboni wrote:

So the question remains:  Why does a brush stroke for one person chew up megabytes of RAM in a long-lived editing session, while for another it doesn't?

Yes, as I said at the end of my post, "That doesn't excuse the OP's memory use growing beyond the limit specified in Preferences, of course."

• 11. Re: Photoshop is using more RAM than I have allocated in the Performance tab
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

Whatever.  It doesn't really matter who thought what when.

The pertinent point is that Sterfry75 sees each brush stroke chew up RAM.  That doesn't happen in properly working Photoshop sessions beyond the point where the history state count has reached the programmed limit.

I wouldn't bet that there's no way Photoshop itself could be causing that - maybe somehow internally it thinks there is an infinitely high number of history states because of corrupted preferences or something.  It's just barely possible that clearing Photoshop's preferences to defaults might help.

But my gut tells me there's a problem (memory "leak") in either in the input driver or in the display driver, and I have already asked the pertinent questions to try to further that thought.

-Noel

• 12. Re: Photoshop is using more RAM than I have allocated in the Performance tab
                              Sterfry75 Level 1

Noel,

I am running the 12.8 catalyst drivers, but you may be onto something with the input drivers. I'm using a Wacom Cintiq 20WSX, a discontinued model. I have the most current drivers from Wacom, but in my experience the Cintiq drivers have had loads of problems. It might be causing the issue?

I haven't tried disabling OpenGL in PS because the entire reason I upgraded to CS5 was so that my lines would come out nice and smooth, which the OpenGL makes possible. Without it, a curved line is rendered in segments.

I just tried deleting the PS settings by opening the program with Ctrl+Alt+Shift. I'll let you all know if this fixes the memory leak.

Thanks again!

• 13. Re: Photoshop is using more RAM than I have allocated in the Performance tab
                                Noel Carboni Level 8

Sterfry75 wrote:

I just tried deleting the PS settings by opening the program with Ctrl+Alt+Shift. I'll let you all know if this fixes the memory leak.

Just to be absolutely sure, if you are successful at that, it will prompt you to confirm deletion of the preferences.  If it didn't prompt, you didn't actually reset the preferences.

-Noel

• 14. Re: Photoshop is using more RAM than I have allocated in the Performance tab
                                  Sterfry75 Level 1

Yes, I was prompted to delete the preferences. At first it seemed as though the problem may have been fixed. Photoshop ran smooth for the rest of the day afterwards from what I can remember; however, the memory leak issue seems to have come back up. It seems at this point the Wacom Cintiq drivers may be to blame.

• 15. Re: Photoshop is using more RAM than I have allocated in the Performance tab
                                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Just be sure you've filled all your configured History slots before you deem memory usage with each brush stroke as "leakage".  As shown above, it's expected that each new history state will use more RAM up to the point where the act of creating one history state also causes another one to be freed up.

Regarding Wacom drivers, they do save multiple different versions on their site from what I recall.  You might try a different version.

-Noel

• 16. Re: Photoshop is using more RAM than I have allocated in the Performance tab
                                      Sterfry75 Level 1

Thanks everyone for you help, the problem seems to have gone away after the new ATi catalyst drivers were released last week!

Haven't seen Photoshop go over 8GB of RAM usage. Phew.