6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2012 7:32 AM by ECBowen

New Computer Advice

elrogg Level 1

I am going to buy a new Windows Laptop to use with Production Premium 6.x.   I have two questions. 

1.  If the NVIDIA Graphics card has a K in front of it such as a K3000M does that make a difference with the Mercury Engine? 

2.  What would be better, putting money into an upgraded card such as a K4000M with 2 more GBs of memory or in more onboard RAM...16GB rather than 8GB? 

Thanks,

Elrogg

• 1. Re: New Computer Advice
          Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

The Dell Precision M6600 is working very well here and they supply the recommended video card, and the Mercury Engine works well, 16GB RAM is the way to go , with Raid 0, you can see better with the 17.3 " Monitor. No editing issues with H.264 or HDV nearly as good as the XEON but, the larger 24" Ultrasharp Monitor or larger are better than the laptop monitors, although very good.

Check out the M6700 Workstation ?

>http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/features-benifits/quadro-mobile-features-benefits-final. pdfhttp://

\

Obviously a new feature but, the 3000M  2GB is very good indeed.

• 2. Re: New Computer Advice
            JFPhoton Level 3

......for a decently configured M6600......you will need a lawyer to attend the "closing" of your laptop at the lender's boardroom!!  .......unless you can buy a used one from the General Accounting Office Christmas Bash in Hawaii........I'm sure that's what THEY buy with the taxpayer's dough!....

• 3. Re: New Computer Advice
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The K designation in front of the Quadro Model numbers mean those Quadros have 600 series GPU's. Those would be the latest GPU's available from Nvidia.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/product-comparison/Quadro_Mobile_Product_Comparison.pdf

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: New Computer Advice
                Alex - DV411 Level 2

1.  If the NVIDIA Graphics card has a K in front of it such as a K3000M does that make a difference with the Mercury Engine?

I didn't see anyone answer these questions directly, so I'll take a shot at that.

It does.  To what extent - I don't know yet.  The new Kepler architecture is quite a bit more optimized, has more CUDA cores vs. older Quadro cards, and also uses less power.  I'd for sure look for K-series Quadros (mobile or desktop) vs. older ones.

2.  What would be better, putting money into an upgraded card such as a K4000M with 2 more GBs of memory or in more onboard RAM...16GB rather than 8GB?

System memory.  On the graphics card, as long as it has 1GB, it'll work for GPU acceleration; more than 1GB may be needed for extreme high-res files.  Adding more graphics memory has little effect on performance, as far as I know.

• 5. Re: New Computer Advice
                  Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Hi JFPhoton,

I agree, I managed to get one on run out in Australia less than the Sony Vaio @ 13.1 " Monitor compared to the 17.3"of the M6600 (16GB RAM)  it is a very professional piece of  a laptop and easily runs Premiere Pro CS5.5.2 Mercury Engine GPU Acceleration & the hyper threading is probably not needed  with the 3000M Nvidia Quadro. Not the K you are asking after , if it is anything like the 2GB 3000M it would be a winner .Nearly as good as the XEON Quad Core Precision & Raid configuration we run and burns blu-ray quickly.

• 6. Re: New Computer Advice
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Greater amount of Cuda Cores with the 600 series GPU Quadro's gives a far better performance ceiling with the GPU acceleration versus the previous 400/500 series Quadro cards that dont have the K designation. The GPU ram decides how much the Hardware MPE engine can handle before turning off during playback due to lack of caching or erroring out in general such as dealing with high resolution stills that are non-standard video resolution and not 16:9 aspect. Allot of the Open GL errors you see people report in the forum have to due with the GPU acceleration player not able to handle that data which likely means the memory allocation ran out of GPU ram.

Eric

ADK