1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 6:22 PM by Dov Isaacs

Why does my PDF appear in Corel all garbled?

FIONAD123

I have to get some posters & signs printed for an event urgently!

I did the artwork in InDesign & exported it to 'High Quality Print' PDF.

I took these PDFs to the printer & they opened them in Corel which they use to print off & it opened completly wierd & garbled. All the text was chinese & the document was a mess.

Why is this happeneing? How can I stop this or change it?

I tried to save the files to an ESP but it comes up witrh an error message "Export Error: Error due to an out of memory condition"

Would opening the ID file in Illustrator & then sending the file to the printer as an EPS help?

Regards,

• 1. Re: Why does my PDF appear in Corel all garbled?
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Neither CorelDRAW nor Adobe Illustrator are PDF file editors. The only PDF files that CorelDRAW can reliably and successfully open, edit, and/or print are PDF files created directly by CorelDRAW. Likewise, the only PDF files that Adobe Illustrator can reliable and successfully open, edit, and/or print are PDF files saved directly from the same or later version of Adobe Illustrator, assuming the “retain editability” option was specified.

The only safe program to open and print all PDF files from is Adobe Acrobat. Alternatively, a PDF file may be safely printed from a print system that natively RIPs PDF.

The fact that your “printer” is attempting to print your PDF files via CorelDRAW or even Adobe Illustrator demonstrates that your “printer” is very sorely lacking in knowledge of PDF workflow. I most strongly recommend that you find a better-educated “printer” with reliable workflows.

- Dov