7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2012 11:01 PM by Todd_Kopriva

AE CS3 crash on Media Core initializing

Dallas Kruse

I have done an exhaustive search before I got to this point.

As with many other people, AE CS3 crashes on initializing Media Core.

I did everything save put a voodoo hex on Adobe to get this to work.

I finally figured out that the cuplrit to my crashing was the file "Adobe Editing Modes.xml" in the "Editing Modes" folder inside my Applications/AE/Contents/Plug-ins/MediaCore.

I went one by one and removed all the files and the one that caused the crash was the aforementioned "Adobe Editing Modes.xml".

WIth that removed, AE will finally open but at startup I now get a prompt "After Effects warning: failed to initialize Media Core".

I'm assuming AE won't run properly without this offending file.

My question ... how do i fix this issue?

I'm on a MBP. OSX 10.6.8. AE version 8.0x247.

Any help is appreciated for this noob who's trying to get into video editing.

• 1. Re: AE CS3 crash on Media Core initializing
          Dallas Kruse Level 1

and now ... with that file being removed, i cannot import any sort of video file into AE .. no matter what the format.

any help is appreciated.

• 2. Re: AE CS3 crash on Media Core initializing
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You don't edit video with AE, it's still a compositing program. Reinstate that XML file. Reinstall the program or move it back into place. Run the Creative Suite Cleaner Tool if necessary. The rest is not really clear but Media Core crashes can have all sorts of causes from permissions issues to graphics card and configuration issues. May also simply be a compatibility issue with newer versions of OSX. CS3, is, aftwer all, a few years old now.... Check the user permissions on your Library:Application Support: Adobe folders, buth globally and the user branch. Same for the Preferences folders and so on... also check your Quicktime and system audio/ video settings....

Mylenium

• 3. Re: AE CS3 crash on Media Core initializing
              Dallas Kruse Level 1

"You don't edit video with AE" - I understand that but should still be able to import video to add effects, correct?

"Reinstate that XML file. Reinstall the program or move it back into place." - I should've stated that I tried that and still crashed upon MEDIA CORE stage.

I have repaired permissions many times but to no avail.

re: Quicktime settings ... i'm not sure as to what "proper" settings they should be.

addendum: I'm a music producer and am fairly savvy with audio and the likes.

thanks for your help thus far

• 4. Re: AE CS3 crash on Media Core initializing
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm a music producer

And as such you're using a ton of additional QT components and external audio devices, right? If so, disable/ remove them or at least assign your computers internal audio as the default. AE is most likely crashing because it can't deal with all the Christmas lighting...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: AE CS3 crash on Media Core initializing
                  Dallas Kruse Level 1

I'm actually installing this on my laptop and have no external audio devices connected nor selected.

attached are the QT components i have. 

I moved them from this folder to the desktop and tried to open AE, no luck...still crashed.

Screen shot 2012-10-10 at 3.51.53 PM.png

• 6. Re: AE CS3 crash on Media Core initializing
                    Dallas Kruse Level 1

I have yet to be able to use AE efficiently on my laptop.

I still get the "FAILED TO INITIALIZE MEDIA CORE" error and as such am still not able to import any video (mov) file at all to composite and edit some video projects.

can ANYONE point me to some solutions?

• 7. Re: AE CS3 crash on Media Core initializing
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

For one thing, you're trying to use a very old version of an application on a new operating system, one that it was never tested on. Mac OSX v10.6.8 was released years after After Effects CS3, so there's no way that the application could have been tested on that OS.

I recommend using a newer version of the application (or an older version of the OS).