• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I create a demo/assessment/training recording simultaneously from a template?

Oct 10, 2012 Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using Captivate 5 and outputting to Flash 9. I mainly use Captivate for system simulations.

I've created a template (.cptl) file, which I've also saved as a .cptx file. I've placed a recording placeholder slide in this template. When I double-click on the slide to start recording, the recording dialog box only allows me to record a demo, assessment or training version individually, not simultaneously.

If I create a new recording without using the template or an existing .cptx file (i.e. from the File menu option), I get the demo/assessment/training check boxes and can record all three simultaneously.

I really don't want to have to record the same thing 3 times!

Am I doing something obviously wrong here? If so, please help if you can. If not, is there a workaround?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Gavin

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some options that you ONLY get when you initiate a new capture session from scratch and not by adding to an existing project file (as you have found). For this (and other reasons) I never record slides starting from a template or existing project file.  I prefer to use File > Record New Project, to create a new recording session and then set the options each time from scratch. 

Once I have captured all the slides I need, I make a copy of this project (so that I have a backup in case of disaster) and then proceed to weed out the slides I don't need.  This way I'm always working on small project files and don't have to worry about having all my eggs in one basket.

Once I've whittled it down to the bare minimum number of slides I need, I then paste these slides into my main project and polish everything up before publishing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sir. This is what I feared!

So if I'm doing the demo/assessment/training thing, I have to do your suggestion 3 times.

Before posting my question, I thought this may be the case but was hopeful there is a better option...

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. If you use my approach you should be able to create all three outputs during the same capture session by ticking all three boxes.

That is one of the options you don't get when adding captures to an existing project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I understand... I just meant that I'll have to copy/paste the slides from the three versions into three copies of my template/existing project. If you get my drift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you record additional slides, even in a normal project, you never get the choice to have 3 different simulations captured, because you are in one file and the three captures result in three files. That is a little bit the same when you start from a template: you are in one file, cannot expect to be able to multiply that one file magically to three files. Hope you understand what I mean? It is exactly the same what Rod explains.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources