2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2012 1:17 PM by Peter Spier

Is it possible to relink whole image file directories in InDesign?

eliz_butler

I have templates that come from another office. Their image folders are set up identically to ours, except ours is mapped to a drive in our office, theirs is mapped to a folder first on a drive in their office.

The links show up as missing. Relinking one will find a few, but on a regular basis, I need to be able to point InDesign to our Image folders, which are mapped to one of our drives. There must be a way to accomplish this? I hope?

I am using CS5

ps: I just learned it is a Mac to PC thing - the original files are on a mac so they are not mapped to a drive the way our PC images are.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to relink whole image file directories in InDesign?
          Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

So there is an image folder and subfolders which path are similar in some part and differ in another, right?

1. If you would reorganize it to one folder - relink would complete the job... or

2. If you (your net admin) would reorganize shared folders (sharing this part of path which is different) - links would be similar... or

3. If you would write a short script - all images could have redefined path by click.

hope...

• 2. Re: Is it possible to relink whole image file directories in InDesign?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You could also try selecting all the links, then use the Relink to Folder... command. You'll have to do this each time the file goes back and forth.

Basically, this is not a great collaborative workflow. Do you both really need the links to be up to date? The previews should still be there, and unless you need to output the files there's no reason the links need to be there to edit text. You also risk having the links themselves edited on one sytem, and the updates not being shared, so the replaced link may not be correct.