2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2012 12:01 PM by kmc27

Possible to Change Paragraph Break to End Of Text character?

kmc27 Level 1

My text is generated on the InDesign page by loading an XML file. Depending on the content set up in the originating program, there could be additional "fine print" text that follows the Orig. pricing value of $44 - $64.

In cases where there is no text after the Orig. pricing, I would like to delete the paragraph break after the $64 and move the End of Text hidden character in its place, eliminating the extra line created by the paragraph break that appears after the $64. Is this possible via a search and find?  I'm not sure how to specifiy a search that can identify (and delete) a paragraph break that has the end of text symbol after it (the one after the $64) and and retain  those that do not, (the paragraph break after the 29.99). My end goal would be to just have the end of text character replace the paragraph break after the $64.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

id4_text_frame_w_white_space.gif

• 1. Re: Possible to Change Paragraph Break to End Of Text character?
          Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

Find Grep:

\r\s*$

Change Grep

empty

It should remove last "end of para" sign followed with 0+ white space.

But if  additional "fine print" text follows - you have to include some condition to exclude this from removing.

It depends on what it would be, in fact.

hope...

• 2. Re: Possible to Change Paragraph Break to End Of Text character?
            kmc27 Level 1

Thanks so much for the help. I'm not having any problems with it removing the "fine print", which is comes right after the paragraph break and consists or short phrases such as "Not available as individual pieces" or "Limited quantities", etc.At least that is the way it has behaved on the documents I have tested.

If I am interpreting the GREP code you provided correctly, it is identifying all white spaces after the paragraph return to the end of the string. This would exclude the fine print, because it comes immediately after the paragraph break.

Thanks again for the help on this.