11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2008 11:12 AM by bcortez

adt.bat Could not generate timestamp: Cannot parse the response

Creeg Level 1
      I am using the command line to build an air app as follows:

adt.bat -package -storetype pkcs12 -keystore mycert.pfx -storepass xxx -tsa http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timstamp.dll myApp.air myApp-app.xml myApp.swf

However, I receive this error:

Could not generate timestamp: Cannot parse the response

I am using a Verisign issued Authenticode certificate. Has anyone got any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: adt.bat Could not generate timestamp: Cannot parse the response
          tzeng Adobe Employee
          How did you get the URL:
          http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts//timstamp.dll

You can use the default tsa for adt.

-ted
          • 2. Re: adt.bat Could not generate timestamp: Cannot parse the response
            Creeg Level 1
            That url is the url recommended by Verisign for signing authenticode certificates. I'm now guessing that it doesn't work with adt.bat :-)

When you say "default tsa", do you mean omitting the -tsa option completely? Is there an easy way to ensure that a timestamp was used when signing an AIR app?

Thanks for your help,

Adam
            • 3. adt.bat Could not generate timestamp: Cannot parse the response
              tzeng Adobe Employee
              adt uses the default tsa:
              https://timestamp.geotrust.com/tsa
              for TimeStamping. If you don't specify the -tsa option, the default tsa is used.

After you package the AIR file, install the app and checks the signatures.xml file. You can see the Timestamp there.

Or you can move the clock on your machine forward beyond the expiration of your certificate and try to install the AIR file. AIR should still install the application.

-ted
              • 4. Re: adt.bat Could not generate timestamp: Cannot parse the response
                Creeg Level 1
                Ok, thanks for the info! Much appreciated.
                • 5. Re: adt.bat Could not generate timestamp: Cannot parse the response
                  bcortez
                  I get a similar, yet different error message when attempting to create the AIR file using the FlexSDK and a self-signed cert.

Could not generate timestamp: timestamp.geotrust.com

When I attempt ping this location, I get a request timeout. Also, the server there is not responding. Has this timestamp server been moved? How do I change this when creating my self signed cert (or can I)?

NOTE: I'm using a self-signed cert for testing purposes during my development, since I do not yet have a full cert.
                  • 6. Re: adt.bat Could not generate timestamp: Cannot parse the response
                    Oliver Goldman Adobe Employee
                    To sign without a timestamp, use "-tsa none". That's not recommended for any .air files you distribute, but it's ok for temporary use.

I'm not sure the server responds to pings. The server hasn't moved, but it might have been down temporarily. Or, there might be a proxy or other setting required from your location in order to access it.

Oliver Goldman | Adobe AIR Engineering

• 7. Re: adt.bat Could not generate timestamp: Cannot parse the response
                      bcortez Level 1
                      Well, I tried using "-tsa none" and that does not work either. It does create an AIR file, but it creates one that's "damaged", and unusable! As for a firewall or other proxy setting on my network, there is none. I can access any other server, anywhere, at any time. This is a MAJOR problem for me right now! I have a presentation of this application in 2 weeks to hundreds of developers. This presentation is a pitch to use the Flex technology to replace our aging applets at my company. If I can't even create an AIR file, from the command-line tools, then I see no reason to advocate this any further. I've spent the time and energy through the 2 beta releases, updating my codebase with changes from each, while simultaneously fending off attacks of this new technology. Even the last 1.0 release had some pretty significant changes to the core APIs that I had to resolve.

I can't even use the older AIR file for the demo due to the timeout built into it! If I cannot even create an AIR file now with the released product, how will hundreds of developers do the same?
                      • 8. Re: adt.bat Could not generate timestamp: Cannot parse the response
                        tzeng Adobe Employee
                        bcortez,
                        Check your application descriptor file (xxx-app.xml). You probably still have
                        the M6 one. Update it to 1.0 and try again.

-ted
                        • 9. Re: adt.bat Could not generate timestamp: Cannot parse the response
                          bcortez Level 1
                          Ted,
                          Thanks. I did have the following line in my main-app.xml:

<application xmlns=" http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/1.0.M6">

Which I changed to this:

<application xmlns=" http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/1.0">

That got me past the creation of the AIR file (using -tsa none on the command line), and a .air file was created. It also installed OK (or so it seemed) but did not flag a damaged air file anymore. However, trying to run this installed applicaiton results in nothing. Looking at the Windows Task Manager, I see the process startup, begin to access memory, and then close in about 3 seconds. All with no error mesages generated or log files produced (that I could find). I can run this app from FlexBuilder3 directly, with no problem. However what I still can't do is create an AIR file that will both install AND run the application.

Any other suggestions? I appreciate your help here, so I hope you can understand my frustration. Especially since I am now getting "I told you so's..." from the folks I am advocating this approach to here that are against considering Flex Apps as an option.

• 10. Re: adt.bat Could not generate timestamp: Cannot parse the response
                            Oliver Goldman Adobe Employee
                            Check to see if another instance of the application is already running. If it is, the second instance will shutdown after launching as you've described.

Does the application launch successfully from Flex Builder? If so, perhaps it depends on a file that is available when running from Flex but didn't get included in the .air file and is therefore missing when the installed version launches.

Finally, try to get up and running with a simpler example. That way you can separate issues with signing, etc. from issues with the application itself.

We appreciate that your trying to promote the use of our technology and the time and effort keeping up with the beta releases. The problems you are running into are unusual and we hope to get you past them soon.

regards,
                            Oliver Goldman | Adobe AIR Engineering
                            • 11. Re: adt.bat Could not generate timestamp: Cannot parse the response
                              bcortez Level 1
                              There is no previous thread running for this application (that's the first thing I checked out). As I said in the last message, I can successfully launch my app from within FlexBuilder3, but not from a generated .air file install.

At your suggestion, I created a simple "Hello World" type of Flex application in FlexBuilder3. From within FlexBuilder3, I exported it to an AIR file and installed it. This simple application does indeed run on my system after being installed from the .air file.

So there's something different about this new public release of the FlexSDK than the last bet release. I compared that simple project contents and layout to my project. The big difference is that all the source files for the simple project was automatically dropped/created in a child 'src' folder under the main project folder. I also noticed that when installed, there were files missing for my app, but not for the simple app. The big difference there being that only the files in the src folder were copied into the AIR installer to be installed. Nothing outside of that folder was part of the install codebase!

I therefore refactored my code (yet again) to move all my source files (including my external config XML files) into a 'src' folder under the main project folder. After a lot of tweaking in FlexBuilder3 to get it all working again and running, I exported to an AIR file once again. This time all the files were included, when I ran the new installer. The application now launches successfully.

The next step is to replicate this via the command-line ADT tool.

It would have been nice to know the changes in this area (src folder) before going this far into the process. Unless they are documented in some obscure release note somewhere that I am not aware of yet.

I'll let you know how the ADT run goes when I get the chance.

Thanks for your help everyone.