8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2010 7:47 AM by Jim_Babbage

nav bar buttons lose links

geeceeart
      I've built a navigation bar in FW CS3 with some nice looking buttons and pop-up menus.
      It previews perfectly in FW.
      I then exported the .png file (indexgreg.png) as an .html (indexgregexport.html) to Dreamweaver CS3 where I placed it in a new document.
      It previews perfectly in DW.
      BUT, when I upload the indexgregexport.html file to my web site, the pop-up menus hold their links, but the main buttons lose their links and point to numbered versions of the .html. (indexgregexport_1.html, indexgregexport_2.html, etc.)
      I must not be uploading all of the necessary files, but I can't figure out what they are.
      Here is the page to look at:
      http://www.ferraripartsexchange.com/indexgregexport.html

This is really driving me crazy, not to mention wasting lots of my time!
      And why is the title of the page indexgregexport.gif???
      PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks-
      Greg in New Orleans
        • 1. Re: nav bar buttons lose links
          geeceeart Level 1
          BTW, I did upload the .css file, a folder with the button .gifs, and mm_css_menu.js
          What am I missing?

Thx again-
          Greg
          • 2. Re: nav bar buttons lose links
            geeceeart Level 1
            I find it irritating that Adobe basically only SELLS extended support for its products (a minimum of $175!). What happened to the one year free support customers used to get after purchase?
            I've already spent the money for the program, a copy of the user's manual (not included with the software except under Help), and many hours of my time researching and trying to get this stuff to work.
            I've been using Photoshop since version 2.0 and, I think, know my way around the Adobe interface pretty well, but FWCS3 is completely UN-intuitive for me.
            Also interesting is how FW experts (both in this forum and projectseven's) tell me to find another program to build navigation bars.
            How can Adobe advertise that its products are seamlessly integrated?

OK, that's it for my ranting today.
            Report me, if you must.
            Greg in New Orleans
            • 3. Re: nav bar buttons lose links
              Level 7
              geeceeart wrote:
              > I find it irritating that Adobe basically only SELLS extended support for its
              > products (a minimum of $175!). What happened to the one year free support
              > customers used to get after purchase?
              > I've already spent the money for the program, a copy of the user's manual (not
              > included with the software except under Help), and many hours of my time
              > researching and trying to get this stuff to work.
              > I've been using Photoshop since version 2.0 and, I think, know my way around
              > the Adobe interface pretty well, but FWCS3 is completely UN-intuitive for me.
              > Also interesting is how FW experts (both in this forum and projectseven's)
              > tell me to find another program to build navigation bars.
              > How can Adobe advertise that its products are seamlessly integrated?
              >
              > OK, that's it for my ranting today.
              > Report me, if you must.
              > Greg in New Orleans
              >

The menus are easy to build but a pain to maintain, hence the other
              recommendations. As far as I know, DW's suppport for the CSS version of
              the menu's is not stellar, if present at all. IMO it is a feature that
              should never have been incorporated in FW at all, but it did.

There is a good deal of integration - much better than in the past, but
              there are always things to improve on.

A link to your original png file might be helpful as well.

--
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              Adobe Community Expert
              http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
              ---
              See my work on Flickr
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
              • 4. Re: nav bar buttons lose links
                geeceeart Level 1
                OK, thanks Adobe Press for giving me the simple solution.
                (paraphrasing the tutorial) "Don't bother to assign URL's in FireWorks. You'll do that in Dreamweaver."
                When the nav bar buttons are exported from FW, they lose their URL links (but, oddly, the pop-up menus don't!). So, after placing the FW html into Dreamweaver, highlight each button and assign the URL link in the DW Properties panel.
                It works!
                So, why does FW have the URL link box in the Properties panel?
                Maybe it works for other types of elements?
                Whatever.
                Sorry for the ranting earlier, but I didn't see this solution in the FW printed manual, Help menu, or anywhere else.
                Thanks Adobe Press!
                g
                • 5. Re: nav bar buttons lose links
                  Level 7
                  geeceeart wrote:
                  > OK, thanks Adobe Press for giving me the simple solution.
                  > (paraphrasing the tutorial) "Don't bother to assign URL's in FireWorks. You'll
                  > do that in Dreamweaver."
                  > When the nav bar buttons are exported from FW, they lose their URL links (but,
                  > oddly, the pop-up menus don't!). So, after placing the FW html into
                  > Dreamweaver, highlight each button and assign the URL link in the DW Properties
                  > panel.
                  > It works!
                  > So, why does FW have the URL link box in the Properties panel?
                  > Maybe it works for other types of elements?
                  > Whatever.
                  > Sorry for the ranting earlier, but I didn't see this solution in the FW
                  > printed manual, Help menu, or anywhere else.
                  > Thanks Adobe Press!
                  > g
                  >
                  >

If you are creating click through mock ups, the urls can be quite
                  helpful within FW. I can apply urls to hotspots or slices and they are
                  maintained on export if I choose to export html, which I will do for
                  mock ups. On production sites, I just deal with it in DW.

--
                  Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                  http://www.communityMX.com/
                  CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                  http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                  ---
                  .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
                  ---
                  See my work on Flickr
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
                  • 6. Re: nav bar buttons lose links
                    MonteKrause Level 1
                    quote:

Originally posted by: geeceeart... I've been using Photoshop since version 2.0 and, I think, know my way around the Adobe interface pretty well, but FWCS3 is completely UN-intuitive for me.
                    Also interesting is how FW experts (both in this forum and projectseven's) tell me to find another program to build navigation bars.
                    ...Greg in New Orleans

Greg, I couldn't agree with you more. I've been with Photoshop since v.4 and find these former Macromedia applications very unintuitive and clunky. The help files are not indexed well and are vague in their descriptions. I read this forum string because CS3 Fireworks is not properly exporting URL information.
                    • 7. Re: nav bar buttons lose links
                      limakid2015 Level 1

I am using the Fireworks CS5 and remains the issue of the "loosing links" when esported to Dreamweaver. IMO, Adobe developers should include a kind of pop up messagge when we try to set up a link. The message could say: "The links is only for mock-up and will not be exported to DW. You need set up the links again in Dreameweaver." Is not fair that? All of us pay a lot of money for this wonderful programms and they show off the fact that "everybody" can learn Adobe softwares without typing codes. So, just add these messages in order to be more intuitive.

Saying: "Don't bother to assign URL's in FireWorks. You'll  do that in Dreamweaver." does not sounds so polite coming from an Official Support, right?. Of course we know that we can solve the problems in may ways, but also we want to understand these kind of "Unlogical issues". Other answer could have been: "The URL's fields in FireWorks were not thought to be full functional in Dreameaver. The links will work in mock-Ups only or just for prototype. The links is one of the many thing to be readjusted in Dreamweaver..."

After all, I am happy with the suite and I am pretty surprised that not only me have same problems.

• 8. Re: nav bar buttons lose links
                        Jim_Babbage Level 4

What tutorial are you referring to?