7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2012 7:33 PM by Central Coast Guy

Premiere only utilizing 25-35% of my CPU - CS5.5 & CS6

Central Coast Guy

Hi all,

I am backed up with at least 3 months of wedding videography projects and I am trying to figure out how to get my encoding and rendering times down. I have looked all over the forums trying to figure out my bottleneck. I thought it was my hard drives so I bought 3 2TB Seagate Barracudas and spread out my workflow. My CPU is only working at 35% and I'm getting very frustrated by it. I'm not even overclocked.

I have Premiere Pro CS6 on my boot drive, the project and media on my Raid, my media cache files and preview files on the hitachi drive, and my disk swap file on the WD drive.I have the Mercury Hardware Playback working with my GTX460. (Should I try turning that off and use software?) It took me 27 hours to encode/export my 2 hour video on mpeg2 Bluray. Then the DVD mpeg2 file took 17 hours to export. I tried the h264 instead of mpeg2 and it didn't export correctly so I stopped using that codec. It takes me about 20 minutes just to render 3 minutes of footage with a magic bullet effect applied.

Is there anything that looks off in this setup? Also I have tried it with CS5.5 and 6 and they seem to be about the same. The new hard drives and CS6 have given me only a 10% increase from 25%cpu to 35% usage. Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Jonathan

ASUS P8P67-M PRO

Intel i7-2600k 3.4ghz (not overclocked)

16GB Corsair Vengeance 12800 1600

EVGA GTX460

(5 internal)

2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm

2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm

2TB WD Green Drive

4TB (2x2) Seagate Barracudas 7200rpm in Raid0

4 external 1TB drives

• 1. Re: Premiere only utilizing 25-35% of my CPU - CS5.5 & CS6
          josephs51576386 Level 3

If you're using any Magic bullet effects then you're wait times are going to go up quite a bit no matter what.

Have you tried exporting without the magic bullet effects on your video and checking what the export time is? Because Magic bullet stuff is known for causing silly export times. I know for myself personally if I export to h.264 or MPEG2 it doesn't take anywhere near that long and our setups are fairly close. Although I do have one other question for you, what type of connection are you using for your external drives?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere only utilizing 25-35% of my CPU - CS5.5 & CS6
            Central Coast Guy Level 1

Thanks. I didn't realize magic bullet really caused that much of a difference. I know it renders super fast without the magic bullet but I haven't really compared an export with and without. I'll see how big of a difference it makes. But that shouldn't effect my CPU not being utilized correct? I don't use my externals for anything video project related. They are only for storage of music, movies, and tv shows because they are USB2.0.

• 3. Re: Premiere only utilizing 25-35% of my CPU - CS5.5 & CS6

I also forgot to mention I am working with hacked Panasonic GH2 footage that is about 150mb/s. So every minute of footage is about 1.5 gigs. That probably has something to do with the slow encode as well.

• 4. Re: Premiere only utilizing 25-35% of my CPU - CS5.5 & CS6
                josephs51576386 Level 3

Magic Bullet has been known to cause poor thread usage. However this is sometimes because it's using your GPU, depending on how you have your settings setup. Usually (in most cases) though it will move even slower if you use CPU only. I have read about cases though where it doesn't turn out that way. The easiest way to check though is to export it with the magic bullet effects taken off the clips or disabled and then check your CPU usage.

Either way though I can almost promise your slow exports are being caused by Magic Bullet. I have seen so many people who use Magic Bullet end up not using it as often because of how slow it makes export times.

I also doubt your footage is the cause because I edit with ProRes HQ everyday which is 220Mpbs and I always see 95-100 percent CPU usage. My GPU is normally pushing around 30 percent or so whenever I have effects that are rendered by my GPU.

However though we will know once you test it. If that's not the problem then I have no idea what is going on. I'm sure someone else on the forum might be able to come up with some ideas though. (If this turns out not to be the issue)

• 5. Re: Premiere only utilizing 25-35% of my CPU - CS5.5 & CS6

Thanks a lot for the input! I guess I should have thought of that. I'll do a test with and without and come back with some results for others that might have a similar issue.

• 6. Re: Premiere only utilizing 25-35% of my CPU - CS5.5 & CS6
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

that shouldn't effect my CPU not being utilized correct?

Actually it does.  Magic Bullet renders using OpenGL on the graphics card.  Even with the best cards out there, that kind of rendering just can't keep up with modern CPUs, so they just don't get fully utilized.  Remove the MB effects and your CPU usage will go up, and your export times will go down.

Of course, without the MB effects, it may not look as good.

• 7. Re: Premiere only utilizing 25-35% of my CPU - CS5.5 & CS6

Thanks for the clarification Jim! That makes sense now. I guess I'll try to limit the magic bullet usage for a balance of looks and speed. : )