5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2012 8:47 AM by Ed.Macke

Import from DV tape -> .avi with ~14GB / hour

tobiasgardner

Hi,

I have imported ~45 DV tapes to my computer, each about 14GB in size consisting of .avi files... I would like to compress those files before starting to import them into Premiere Elements... Started out converting to .mkv (~2GB per hour) but realized that PE did not support that...

Any suggestion of what I should use? I want to mimimize quality loss (of course)... Reasonable size to me would be 2-4GB / hour.

Best regards, Tobbe G

• 1. Re: Import from DV tape -> .avi with ~14GB / hour
          the_wine_snob Level 9

If storage is the motivation for compressing, then I would suggest buying some external HDD's.

Compression will degrade the quality, and that can never be recovered. If you then edit, and Export/Share to a compressed format/CODEC, such as MPEG-2 DVD, for authoring, you will loose even more.

If you have to do heavy compression, and do not care about quality, then maybe look at WMV, but those files will require CPU horsepower to process.

Formats/CODEC's, like MKV, DivX and Xvid, are delivery-only formats, and are not meant for editing. The choice is yours.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Import from DV tape -> .avi with ~14GB / hour
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Compressing DV video before bringing it into Premiere Elements is actually counter-interative, since the program is designed about the DV workflow.

The video you've captured from your miniDV is already in its ideal format for editing in Premiere Elements. If you convert it to a smaller video you'll only be making it more challenging for the program to work with -- and might well lead to a lot of headaches and program crashes.

It would definitely be wiser to buy a larger (or second) hard drive that it would be to compress your captured video.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Import from DV tape -> .avi with ~14GB / hour
              tobiasgardner Level 1

I guess I can try importing it all, it is stored on the NAS for the moment.

No real issue with space (not on NAS) but I was forced to move all pictures

to local HDD in order to get good performance when working with Photoshop

Elements.

If the same is needed for the movies, I will have a problem since the raw

material is >700GB.

Regards, Tobbe G

• 4. Re: Import from DV tape -> .avi with ~14GB / hour
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I also use an NAS for Asset storage, but even with a dual-Gigabit NIC, find that editing to/from the NAS is just too slow for me. I Copy all Assets to a local HDD, to edit. Now, I also use several FW-800 external HDD's, with which I can edit to/from. eSATA externals, or perhaps USB 3.0, would be even faster than my FW-800's.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Import from DV tape -> .avi with ~14GB / hour
                  Ed.Macke Level 3

My guess would be if you needed to move your pics from NAS to local HDD, you'll need to do the same with your video.

You need fairly fast throughput to get decent performance. I tried putting DV-AVI files on a local 5400 RPM SATA II drive and performance was really poor, almost unusable. I put the same files on a 7200 RPM SATA III drive and everything was perfect.

You don't say whether you're on a a laptop or desktop, but you can get a 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Western Digital Blue for around $85.00. That's what I did for my video storage.