6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2012 8:55 AM by Petteri_Paananen

Symbol as section/paragraph break?

mestermule Level 1

Can anybody please help me with this issue: I am trying to solve how to use a symbol to mark the break between sections and paragraphs in Indesign. I need one solid block of text for a client project, but the original text is indentet. I need to remove this, and substitute all indentments with a blue square that shoul preferably also scale with font size. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Symbol as section/paragraph break?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It will be much easier if the square is a glyph from a font. Both the Wingdings and Zapf Dingbats fonts include a solid square, for example.

Use Find/Change to find a Paragraph Mark, then change to the square glyph. In the change formatting options you can specify a color and some scaling if you need it, or you can include that as part of acharacter style and apply the character style in the change formatting.

If there are tabs rather than paragraph indents starting the lines, look for the paragraph mark followed by tab insted of just the parargraph mark.

• 2. Re: Symbol as section/paragraph break?
            mestermule Level 1

Thank you very much for your prompt help! I am rather new to the endless possibilities of typography in Indesign, so it is rather easy to get lost in those corridors.

Respectfully

Mestermule

• 3. Re: Symbol as section/paragraph break?
              mestermule Level 1

I tried, but must be doing something wrong:

Use Find/Change to find a Paragraph Mark, then change to the square glyph.

In the change formatting options you can specify a color and some scaling

if you need it, or you can include that as part of acharacter style and

apply the character style in the change formatting.

To me there seems to be a step missing in this explanation. When I

find/change a paragraph mark, I get four possibilities text/grep/etc.

However, I do not get the option of substituting the paragraph symbol with

any glyph. Where am I going wrong?

• 4. Re: Symbol as section/paragraph break?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can do this on either the Text or GREP tabs. I'm using the Text tab in the screen shots below, and the paragraphs use a first-line indent. I've shown hidden characters for clarity.

First enter End of Paragraph mark in the Find field (you can choose it from the dropdown by clicking the @ symbol bext to the field).

Then I entered the square by copying it from a text frame in the file someplace and pasting into the Change field. Now click the Magnifier next to the teh Change Formatting box to enter that dialog and in the Basic Character Formats section specify the font for the dingbat (in my case ITC Zapf Dinbats). If you don't specify the font, you may not get what you expect. Now move to Character Color and set the fill to blue. Your Dialog should look like this when you've finished:

Run-inBulletParagraph 1.png

Hit Change All and yor text should look like this:

Run-inBulletParagraph 2.png

I see a problem that didn't occur to me originally -- there is no space around the new bullet. To fix that Undo your change (if you already ran it), then modify the change field by adding a space before and after the Square glyph. I use a quarter space and chose it from the list:

Run-inBulletParagraph 3.png

Now when you press Change All there should be some space around your blue squares:

Run-inBulletParagraph 4.png

• 5. Re: Symbol as section/paragraph break?
                  mestermule Level 1

Dear Mr Spier,

Thank you so much for your help, it really helped me get what I want, but also gave me a better understanding of Indesign itself.

Respectfully

Mestermule

Elg i sivil!

• 6. Re: Symbol as section/paragraph break?
                    Petteri_Paananen Level 4

If you need to place blue square at the beginning of every paragraph, you can also use Bulleted List. You can set that in Paragraph Style Options if you are using styles or locally from Control Panel for the text you have selected with Type Tool.

Default bullet is just a small circle but you can use basically any character as a bullet. And in Bullets and Numbering Options you can set a Character Style for bullet if you want for instance give it some fill color.

Here´s a links to very good tutorial video about bullets by Anne-Marie Concepcion...

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter-archive/video_workshop/?id=vid0077

Here´s my sample indd-file for exploring:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17227987/bullets.indd

Text without bullets

bullet1.jpg

Text with bullets toggled on (and modified a little)

bullet2.jpg

And here´s screenshot of Bullets and Numbering Options window (I made settings directly to the text not to Paragraph Style Options):

bullet3.jpg