6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2012 9:48 AM by Giorgio1957

What is the best HD output format for .MTS files?

Giorgio1957 Level 3

Hi guys,

I'm in trouble with .MTS files taken from a Sony videocam.

Everything works and I get my final movie in mpeg2 (or H.264) Blu-ray and the final BDisk looks pretty.

But a friend of mine has edited some of these clips with Sony Vegas and his video is more definited than mine.

I tried in many ways to change some output settings like "same as source HD" or changing bitrates, GOP, VBR (single or double) in HD 1080i setting (yes, the clips are interlaced)........... but my final results are everytime less definited than Sony does with just a (bloody) default setting.

Any idea to improve the output quality of these files?

Thanks in advance

Giorgio

• 1. Re: What is the best HD output format for .MTS files?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Hello Giorgio,

If you have not read this yet, I would start with one of Todd's FAQ Entries: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878590?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: What is the best HD output format for .MTS files?
            Giorgio1957 Level 3

Hi Bill,

nice to hear you.

Unfortunately these tips have not given me an help.

My way of doing is:

Check the input files (format, interlaced or progressive, bitrate, framerate, fields, pixel, extension name etc.....) with MediaInfo.

Open the proper Premiere project (in this case AVCHD 1080i square pixel)

Edit and output using Mpeg2 Blu-ray  or H.264 Blu-ray using the best settings I can..

In this case I've tried ALSO to output a movie as much as possible similar to the input format, looking at the GOP also (premiere gives as default  M3 N15, but the source is M2 N13): no way indeed!!!!

My fear is that Pr doesn't hold .MTS files properly as Vegas does.

Strange: Vegas is a Sony product as the videocam I've taken the files from.

I hope I'm doing something wrong but I'm afraid I had to edit this files with Vegas.

Tell me I'm wrong, please

Giorgio

• 3. Re: What is the best HD output format for .MTS files?
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would go for H.264 BD with 2 pass, default settings. MRQ on and no preview files.

If you do not know how encoding works dont fiddle with the settings (gop etc).

• 4. Re: What is the best HD output format for .MTS files?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Giorgio,

I suspected that Todd's article would fall short of what you needed, but think that Ann has offered a very good solution.

Good luck, and let us know how that works out - caio!

Hunt

• 5. Re: What is the best HD output format for .MTS files?
                  Giorgio1957 Level 3

Ann,

thanks for your reply, this is the first (or second) try I've done. But, as I've written, no improvements.

Though I know what "group of pictures" means, I usually do not fiddle with them, letting Pr do the best.

It was just a desperate attempt due to the touchable difference between Pr and Vegas outputs.

Do not know if you have Vegas but, if yes, I'd ask you to try to edit just a short clip and you'll see.

I'm afraid there is a difference between how .mts files are managed.

More tips, are welcome.

Anyway many thanks indeed.

Bill,

thanks for your whishes , I do not surrender so easily. But this is making a bit sad.... cross fingers

Giorgio

• 6. Re: What is the best HD output format for .MTS files?
                    Giorgio1957 Level 3

Hi,

this is just to update my thread and let you know my "efforts".

No way, with Pr, to export HD files as good as Sony does.

I've also downloaded Media Composer 6.5 from Avid website (God, how complicated is it!! ) and tried lot of chances but, also if I'm getting close to Vegas, no ways to reach it.

My conclusion is: Vegas takes advantage from native files.

Difference is not big but visible.

Just to be strict, HD files come from an HDR SR12.

Have a nice day

Giorgio