13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2014 1:25 PM by micz

After Effects unrender RAM preview after stop playing it.

Victor Wolansky Level 1

Hi! We have 5 workstations running After Effects CS6 on different computers, from HP z820, HP z800, and also on OSX Mac Pro, all of them with or AJA cards or BlackMagic Studio cards. On all of these stations, which they have no less than 24 GB or RAM, and working with 30 Seconds ads, so we have more than enough RAM to keep previews on RAM, they play fine once rendered to RAM, but we observe that most of the times, after hitting stop, and even without doing anything else, the green line is gone in a heartbeat, in some areas of the spot, this gets even worse if we use multiprocessing rendering, in which case, it always vanishes after playing and hitting stop. Without using the multiprocessing, it happens less often, and if we turn off the video monitoring with the AJA or Decklink cards, it happens even less often....  this is happening in several computers we use, and I find hard to believe that we are the only people with this problem? since I have not seen any other reports of this...  anyone?

Thanks

• 1. Re: After Effects unrender RAM preview after stop playing it.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

and I find hard to believe that we are the only people with this problem?

Perhaps not, but in all fairness, nobody can know what is going on with your computers, even more so since you use so many different setups. Yeah, sure, it's some thing with your drivers vs. Quicktime vs. AE or whatever, but really, this is beyond the scope of what any forum can do. This will require elaborate hands-on debugging by a computer geek but even than there may be no resolution.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects unrender RAM preview after stop playing it.
            Victor Wolansky Level 1

Sorry but I disagree, we are talking about the ability of AE to keep things in RAM, after hitting stop.... if things are in RAM, why can they just stay in RAM after you hit stop if you didn't changed anything? I understand if I go ahead and change something it might produce the cache to being dropped, but without doing anything other than hit stop? we are with a client showing the spot we are working on, the client ask to stop for a second so he can say something, then when we want to play again we need to render the whole spot again? that smell to bug to me....

the hardware we are using is the hardware recommended by Adobe for the application, our HDDs are very fast, we get all SDDs for the cache drives, our storage are RAIDs with over 1000 MB/s, and the RAM is well over what is needed to keep in RAM just 30 seconds of HD video.

ALL the computers are HP Z800 or Z820, no strange home made computers, a Mac Pro which is not a strange computer either... se we are not dealing with weird setups.

• 3. Re: After Effects unrender RAM preview after stop playing it.
              Victor Wolansky Level 1

Anyway... I will keep digging into this until I find the reason....  just hope this gets read by Adobe employees and if I find the reason... it gets fixed so I do not waste my time.

V.

• 4. Re: After Effects unrender RAM preview after stop playing it.
                Victor Wolansky Level 1

Let me also add to this...  I can load to RAM source footage and play it, stop it, and will never lose the green line. So I pretty much doubt its a hardware issue, this happens only when the projects get complicated, so must be some effect or somethng that is invalidating the cache currently in memory after stopping playing. Simple projects never have this issue. 90% of what with do is 30 seconds in lenght, so RAM amount should not be the problem here, also checking in the task manager, we never get even close to the limit of RAM we have.

• 5. Re: After Effects unrender RAM preview after stop playing it.
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Other than the AJA and Blackmagic cards, have you added anything to the systems' hardware?

What plugins have you added?
                  What codec packs have you added?

At what point in the complexity of the comps does this start happening? Is it number of layers or number of precomps in use?

Have you seen this happen before or just in this version of AE?

As a side note: this is a user-to-user forum. Granted, we are often blessed by the presence of Adobe employees, but it's not guaranteed. There are official tech support channels and an official bug report page that you can use to make sure this is seen by an actual Adobe person.

• 6. Re: After Effects unrender RAM preview after stop playing it.
                    Victor Wolansky Level 1

Other than the AJA and Blackmagic cards, have you added anything to the systems' hardware?

No, but not sure if the video card...  I can, like I said before, load to RAM and play fine source footage, it never loses the green line...

What plugins have you added?

Many, but it happens right now on what I'm working on, and I have no plugins in use, only 4 layers with alpha coming from MAX which I'm comping together.

What codec packs have you added?

How can this be relevant? It happens with any format, on once rendesred to RAM, it has no codec, its the internal AE format. It happens with any kind of source.

At what point in the complexity of the comps does this start happening? Is it number of layers or number of precomps in use?

Well, right now is happening with something extremelly simple, just 4 layers from a 3D render and nothing on it.... I render to ram, it plays, I stop... green line vanishes....

Have you seen this happen before or just in this version of AE?

I have seen this for years... just never really paid much attention to it becuase never considered AE very good at it, but CS6 on of the sales points is how much better caching is... and its not in our case..

As a side note: this is a user-to-user forum. Granted, we are often blessed by the presence of Adobe employees, but it's not guaranteed. There are official tech support channels and an official bug report page that you can use to make sure this is seen by an actual Adobe person.

Thanks! I will report on the official channel once I have something I can reproduce on demand on how to make the program to fail.

V.

• 7. Re: After Effects unrender RAM preview after stop playing it.
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first thing I would do is trash the prefs file and disable disk cache. The green line dissapears when you stop after a preview, but the green line stays if you use the space bar to render frames. If you're using the Preview Panel you can use the stop start button once the piece has previewed in ram. Nothing should re-render. It's been that way for a long time.

If you want to hear audio then you have to do a RAM preview, even with disk cache turned on. Most of the time on my system only 3 or 4 frames render and then the Ram Preview with audio starts planing. The space bar playback with disk cache on or with it off, once the frames are rendered, plays back in real time immediately. With disk cache on the entire timeline plays back. With it off, everything that is green plays back before it starts to crunch out frames again.

CS6 isn't perfect, but it's better. I don't know why simply turning on the audio fouls up the cached ram previews.

• 8. Re: After Effects unrender RAM preview after stop playing it.
                        Victor Wolansky Level 1

interesting....   thanks.. I'll try it. Curiously yesterday was having the problem with just a few layers with nothing on it, and the suddenly stopped doing it... and this morning is doing it again... :-(

• 9. Re: After Effects unrender RAM preview after stop playing it.
                          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry if some of my questions seemed to be irrelevant, it's just that I've seen some seemingly unrelated things cause odd issues before. I remember once having a similar issue to the one you describe a couple of years ago (I think on CS4), but it only happened for a little bit and then stopped. And I can't, for the life of me, remember what fixed it. It may have been a video card driver update (oddly enough).

• 10. Re: After Effects unrender RAM preview after stop playing it.
                            Victor Wolansky Level 1

don't worry... all question is valid... I can't think of reasoin though for the format of the file format to cause this since once readed and loaded in RAM, the format is gone...  and it happens very randomly. Today I turned OFF cache disk and I saw it happening a lot less.... too bad becuase cache disk is the main reason we updated to CS6

• 11. Re: After Effects unrender RAM preview after stop playing it.
                              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I have seen several machines exhibit this issue over the past two years.  All of them have video I/O cards like Blackmagic or AJA cards.

One client's Mac Pro, which I use regularly, has been doing it for two years, despite two AE version upgrades and an OS upgrade. 

• 12. Re: After Effects unrender RAM preview after stop playing it.
                                Victor Wolansky Level 1

The thing is that do it even if the card is disabled..  And Adobe support is pretty much non existent. Not an option.... I report bugs never ever get even a report confirmation or bug ID. It's like you are buying an "as is" product....