2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2012 11:44 AM by Steve Werner

create running exercise numbers

hscross

I'm working on a textbook that has exercises scattered throughout, and I'd like the numbers of the exercises to be automatic so that if I remove one, I don't have to renumber all the others. At the moment, the exercises are numbered like this: 2B where 2 is the chapter and B is the second exercise in that chapter.

I'm using cs 5.5 on Mac. I see text variables for many things, but I'm confused about how to set up something like this. Any help much appreciated!

• 1. Re: create running exercise numbers
          peter minneapolis Level 4

hscross wrote:

I'm working on a textbook that has exercises scattered throughout, and I'd like the numbers of the exercises to be automatic so that if I remove one, I don't have to renumber all the others. At the moment, the exercises are numbered like this: 2B where 2 is the chapter and B is the second exercise in that chapter.

I'm using cs 5.5 on Mac. I see text variables for many things, but I'm confused about how to set up something like this. Any help much appreciated!

You do this with paragraph styles that include the numering property. Search Google for terms like "InDesign multi-level numbered lists" for information. Depending on the specific way you assign numbers to chapters, you'll need to create a numbered list numbering expression to capture that number. It's a common task, but InDesign's numbered list format syntax takes a while to master. Save files before experimenting; better, yet, work on file copies until you get it right. It's worth the effort to learn this.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 2. Re: create running exercise numbers
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Follow Peter's suggestion, and look for Bob Bringhurst's tutorials on numbered lists in InDesign.