9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2012 2:48 PM by amebade05

Adjustment layers and clipping masks

amebade05 Level 1

If anyone can answer this question quickly I will be forever grateful. I am having an issue with clipping masks only affecting the intended layer no matter what color background I have on.

For example - I have some lettering that I want to apply a gradient map adjustment layer on. In order to only affect the type layer I hover between the adjustment layer and the type layer while holding Option + click to get the double b+w circles to clip it.

When I clip my ad layer, I don't get my effect. The only way I see the adjustment gradient effect is if I unclip my adjustment layer, but then this affects my ENTIRE background rather than just the type.

Is there a trick to keep the adjustment effect without affecting the rest of the layers no matter what color background I have? Adjustment gradients seem to work best on black backgrounds only. The problem is that my original document has a red background so I HAVE to clip it in order for the gradient not to affect my red background. But even on a black background, I have to unclip the ad layer to see the effect. This is weird.

Try it yourself and you'll see what I mean.

I could flatten my document and extract my type with all its effect glory and just import it into my original doc, but selecting and extracting blurred type would be a big slap on the head.

Thanks.

Test on a black background.

screen.jpg

• 1. Re: Adjustment layers and clipping masks
          amebade05 Level 1

Another thing...I could do this as a layers style, but there are some subtleties that I can't achieve with layer styles as opposed to adjustment gradient maps. There HAS to be a trick.

• 2. Re: Adjustment layers and clipping masks
            mickkky-D

I'm trying to re-create your problem and I'm not seeing it. Is "Layer 1" in your screenshot a vector shape layer, type layer, or rasterized layer?

• 3. Re: Adjustment layers and clipping masks
              amebade05 Level 1

Sorry, should have specified.

- The background layer is obviously the background layer in black.

- On layer 1, I have my type blurred effect.

- On the top layer, I have the adjustment gradient map layer with COLORS. Add colors to adjustment layer.

That's it.

Thanks for the help.

• 4. Re: Adjustment layers and clipping masks
                Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

You might try a Gradient Fill layer instead.

I believe the reason the gradient map isn't working when clipped is because your text is a solid color, in your case white.

There has to be some different colors/tones in the text so the gradient map has something to map to.

As a test try a gradient map layer on a layer filed with any color to see what i'm talking about.

• 5. Re: Adjustment layers and clipping masks
                  conroy Level 5

The feathered paint stroke (or whatever it is) of Layer 1 will be pure white (or something close to white, but all one colour) with varying opacity, not various grays, which only appears to be various grays when blended with the black background.

The unclipped Gradient Map will be mapping the blended grays to various colours in the gradient.

The clipped Grad Map will be mapping pure white (or whatever it is) to pure white, then the result is blended with the background black to give the grays appearance again.

• 6. Re: Adjustment layers and clipping masks
                    Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

Something you might try instead of using a clipping mask is loading a selection of the type layer and then adding a gradient map layer.

Untitled-2.png

• 7. Re: Adjustment layers and clipping masks
                      mickkky-D Level 1

I was able to re-create your problem just one time, but it was random. I didn't understand either why it didn't work on one piece of text vs. another that seemed to have equal properties.

Maybe try to re-type your text and make sure to have no other text styles/properties in that text box. Also, make sure all of your layer effects are turned off on that text layer (like color overlay).

And, if that doesn't work I would just approach whatever you are trying to do differently. Since you can do the same thing in Photoshop about 5 different ways. If you are just trying to add color to a text layer that has a blur effect on it try this:

1. Write your text,

2. Apply blur effect, (your text is now rasterized)

3. User Layer Effects > Gradient Overlay to add color/gradient to your text layer.

Hope that helps.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Adjustment layers and clipping masks
                        conroy Level 5

Try putting the blurred shape in the Gradient Map's mask when not using clipping.

Screen shot 2012-10-11 at 22.39.22.png

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Adjustment layers and clipping masks
                          amebade05 Level 1

@ R_Kelly and Conroy....

It was simple and should have been obvious, but nonetheless...genius.

Why didn't I see it!

Doi!!