how did you then create the TOC? it doesn't build itself unless you tell it to
I did create a TOC.
Another thing, I tried using the default headers in RoboHelp (Heading 1, Heading 2) and it worked. I think the problem lies when I created my own styles for Headings. But why is it behaving that way?
Did you run the auto-create TOC program to generate your TOC? It may be hardcoded in some way, I've never checked. I'm presuming all your sub-headers that you created generated separate topics in the project, right?
I tried both auto-create TOC and manual TOC creation, both didn't work.
When I ran auto-create TOC, the chapter titles appear in the TOC pod but when I generated a pdf, the TOC only contains Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 (same with the screenshot above).
What I wanted to achieve is when I generate a PDF, the styles that I created would reflect in the TOC.
...and so on
Sorry, missed the bit about printed in your original post - don't know anything about that except that it's quite lame in RH as it has to go via Word to get to PDF. It probably has something to do with whatever Word template you're using to map the styles into Word. Maybe check over in the Printed Documentation thread?
Thank you, Jeff. I haven't found anything about it. I think I better use the built in Headings. That defies the customization in Headings though - why such a feature of customization when you can't achieve the desired result. (or maybe it's a user (yeah, that's me) error and I haven't figured out how to do that correctly)
RH's never really been a tool designed for creating "printed" material - that's why I went with TCS and use FM to author and create PDFs from - much superior PDF output. RH just gets used to create the online help that we package with our software.
Sorry Jeff but RoboHelp can create documents that will suit many users. Your way will give you more control over the printed document and the standards you need but then you have less control over the online help than the person working RoboHelp. "Horses for courses."
It looks to me as it may be as simple as checking the print dialog. On the first page there is an Advanced button. Click that and there is a field "Limit TOC depth". Maybe that is set to 1 and maybe later in the dialogs the Maintain HTML Levels is not selected. That would have the result described.
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips