Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FTP error - cannot make connection to host

Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a novice to web development and using Dreamweaver, in general.  I am trying to connect to a remote server from HostGator using an FTP connection.  I have followed all the steps listed on the Dreamweaver Tutorial/Help site and I am still having problems.  I tried troubleshooting based on the suggestions provided and nothing seems to work, i.e., disabling firewall, changing ports, etc.  When I "Test" the connection, I get an FTP error.  I've been working on this issue for 4 hours and can't seem to get anywhere.  Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks.

Using:

Windows 7

Dreamweaver CS6

McAfee Virus Protection

CenturyLink as internet provider

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Site > Manage Sites > New ... 

First, tell DW where to find your local site files.

C:\YourSiteName\

Then go to Servers and set up your Remote server details and log-in info.

I'm pretty sure HostGator uses public_html as your site root directory.  See screenshot below and change htdocs\ to public_html\

CS6-remote-site-root-folder.jpg

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working in a "Defined" site?

Have you tried to FTP with a 3rd party FTP like Filezilla?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does a "Defined" site mean? Do I need to "Put" something?

No, I have not tired Filezilla. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW heavily depends on each site being defined in "Site Manager"

Can;t "put" any files until you get  your FTP working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2013 Apr 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have used Dreamweaver since version 3 and have setup sites (local and remote) successfully on servers for years. When we use .net or .asp I have to have both a remote and a testing server as well as my local site of course. We depend on DW to ftp and not another third party as .asp an .net have to be run on the server. I have read suggestions, but my students and I are all having trouble with uploading or downloading files getting error messages. No problem in CS5.5 or other earlier versions.

The mime font description files type and .ogg movies, or not setup on the server so I suspect that has to be done just as in the olden days the .flv mime type had to added to the server. Still CS5.5 manages those files now.

I turned off ftp optimization after reading about this, but not help. Univeristy of Richmond uses CS6, but J Sargeart Reynolds is still using CS5.5 so we can manage there. Howver, students have purchased CS6 and can not put their files on the server until they come to class an use DW 5.5.

Nancy, I have tried what you said as I know how to setup site local, remote, and testing (but same approach that works in 5.5 does not work in 6). Yes, I also know you have to define a local site. This one is a no brainer for me - it is something about CS6 that is different as I cannot upload from home using CS6 either.

Thanks.

Goodness some of these posts are from the dark ages. I need 2012 or 2013 solutions for Dreamweaver CS6 ftp issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Site > Manage Sites > New ... 

First, tell DW where to find your local site files.

C:\YourSiteName\

Then go to Servers and set up your Remote server details and log-in info.

I'm pretty sure HostGator uses public_html as your site root directory.  See screenshot below and change htdocs\ to public_html\

CS6-remote-site-root-folder.jpg

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Filezilla and the FTP connection worked!

I then deleted my previously "Defined" site and started over using Nancy's suggestion and it worked!

Thank you both so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines