7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2013 4:30 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 9 Crashes in Mac OSX 10.7.2

tmtm10 Level 1

I have a new I Mac with OSX 10.7.2 . I have Photoshop Premiere Elements 9 and I have had many crashes with this program while working on projects. Has anyone else experienced this problem or/and has a remedy. Adobe apparently doesn't address this issue..

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes in Mac OSX 10.7.2
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I've been using versions 9, 10 and 11 on my Mac and have never had a crash with either Premiere Elements or Photoshop Elements. And I've been using Mountain Lion for a couple of months without a hiccup.

What kind of hardware do you have? How fast is your processor and how much RAM have you got? You definitely should have at least 4 gig. (Version 11 can take advantage of even more on Mountain Lion, since it's a 64-bit program.)

And what model of camcorder and format of video are you trying to edit?

Versions 9 and 10 don't work as well with non-camcorder footage, such as video from smartphones and iPads. But version 11 can work with almost any video source flawlessly.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes in Mac OSX 10.7.2
            tmtm10 Level 1

Hi Steve,

Hardware: iMac, Egato video capture device, Transferring VHS-C tapes using RCA analog jacks

Processor: 2.5 Ghz Intel Corei5

Memory: 8 GB

I get to transfer the video to the desktop and have no problem editing out all snowy and unwanted segments. Problems occur, although not always,  when I add transitions, titles, menus and attempt to burn the project. I had a windows XP and Vista based desktop using older versions of Elements Premiere and had success, though I must admit I was editing video that was from Mini DV tapes. I bought this new iMac with the thought that it would out perform my Windows Based Desktops when it came to editing video. Any input would be appreciated..

Thanks Teddy

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes in Mac OSX 10.7.2
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would say the problem is that that capture device isn't capturing to a format the works well with Premiere Elements. Most devices that capture to a USB rather than FireWire connection are designed to work with specific software -- usually the software the came bundled with the device.

The Canopus AVDC is the ideal DV bridge for digitizing your video. A discontinued device that's even cheaper and which I still recommend is the ADS Pyro AV Link. Both of these devices capture DV video to a FireWire connection.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes in Mac OSX 10.7.2
                shaunconsidine@aol.com

Steve, yes, many crashes, when saving edited image to Mac OSX desktop.

Frustrating and unable to do anything about it.  Adobe Elements 11, the worst.  

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes in Mac OSX 10.7.2
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

tmtm10

Just a quick question...

Did you take the time to download and install the Premiere Elements Mac 9.0.1 Update?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4930

That might address the Premiere Elements side of things. But, please confirm "Are you experiencing the same crashes with Photoshop Elements 9 as well as with Premiere Elements 9?

Is your computer defragmented, optimized, Scratch Disks set up appropriately and directed to area with a lot of hard drive space to accept them, previews and conformed video and audio files pile ups ruled out, Premiere Elements settings, source media properties, etc

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes in Mac OSX 10.7.2
                    tmtm10 Level 1

A.T. Romano,

I had given up and purchased the Premiere Elements 11 version. So far I am not having the same problem.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes in Mac OSX 10.7.2
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

tmtm10

Thanks for the follow up with the great news that you have achieved the success with Premiere Elements 11 Mac that was not forthcoming with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Mac.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, so I am assuming that you are gaining computer resources for Premiere Elements 11 Mac since Premiere Elements 11 Mac is presenting as a 64 bit application running in a 64 bit system where it can take advantage of 64 bit resources; whereas Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application running in a Mac presumably in a 32 bit compatibility mode with all the limitations associated with 32 bit.

From all reports that have come my way and from what I have observed in my Elements Windows' World, 64 bit does not always translate into "faster", more the multitasking perks.

We really appreciated your post and will be watching for further developments. Much success.

ATR