4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2012 4:23 AM by RuneEilertsen

Overprinting issue or just wrong settings?

RuneEilertsen Level 1

Hi!

I have a question on printing.

Specs:

iMac

CS6

I made some changes to a pdf document that involved placing a patch filled with 100k on top of an existing textbox. On screen, this looked ok, but when I got the finished print back, I could see through the black patch and read the underlying text.

I exported the pdf from indesign, using the high quality print setting with some modifications: bleed settings: use document bleed.../ Convert to destination, preserve numbers, Destination: iso 300 eci, include profile.

I then placed this pdf into a new indesign file and exported this using the same settings. This was part of a magazine file.

Can someone please enlighten me on this matter?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Overprinting issue or just wrong settings?
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Black should have been set to a rich black colour to avoid this.

A rich black is a colour swatch consisting of 50% cyan and 100% black or a similar mix.

Alternatively - you could have created a new Black swatch and made sure it was set to Knockout and not overprint.

Did you get a proof of this job from the printers? Or did you proceed to press without a printed proof?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Overprinting issue or just wrong settings?
            RuneEilertsen Level 1

Hi!

Thanks for your quick reply.

Will this mean that the default black swatch will be somewhat transparent in print?

So in the future, if I want black to cover something in my designs, I should use a rich black and set it to knockout to be sure it will be 100% opaque?

Does this apply only to the black swatch or will other colours have the same problems?

This job went through the whole process whitout anyone noticing the fault. I'm probably the only one that have noticed it anyway, but I want to avoid this in the future.

• 3. Re: Overprinting issue or just wrong settings?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

By default ID's default [Black] swatch overprints, which is normally a good thing, 100% k overprinting anything simply gets a little darker, and it prevents registration problems when prtinting text on a colored background. This is the only color that overprints automatically, and a copy of the swatch will knock out rather than overprinting.

You can use a rich black, if you are printing 4 colors, but it isn't clear to me what you were putting this in front of -- colored text? Knockout text on a black background? If you need a knockout version of 100%K, the easiest way is to make a copy of the [Black] swatch and rename it to Knockout Black (to avoid confusion). Use the original for overprint and the copy for knockout.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Overprinting issue or just wrong settings?
                RuneEilertsen Level 1

Hi!

ok, I get it now.

to explain myself a little better... I was sent an flat pdf with a black circle with text. The customer wanted to change that text and I simply put a new circle filled with black on top of the old one and text on top of that again. When I got the finsihed print back I could still read the old text underneath.

Thanks for your help.

Rune