6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2012 11:10 AM by Green4ever Branched from an earlier discussion.

Export to .idml not completing

Green4ever Level 3

Hi Peter Spier,

I have an indesign file which is some what corrupted and I believe you could help in converting it to .idml.

Problem: I am trying to export this corrupted file as .idml and it goes upto 91% and hangs after that. I am not even able to cancel the export task in the backgrround tasks. After that I need to end the process manually in the task manager.

Any possible solution to recover the file.OR how to identify the bad parameter that is causing the problem?

Indesign CS5, Windows XP Professional, Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM. (Also tried in win7 and i5 processors).

Thanks,

Green4ever

• 1. Re: Export to .idml not completing
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've branched this out of the FAQ thread and retitled it for clarity.

Are you patched to 7.0.4? The initial relase of CS5 had a problem with background export of PDF, and it might extend to .idml, and it was fixed in one of the updates, so that's the first thing to try.

If it still won't export, the next step is to locate the page, if you can keep the file open. Save a backup copy, then try exporting half of the file to .idml. The only way I know to do that is to delete pages, though. If the first half exports, revert and delete the pages that just exported. The object here is to to keep delting hal of the part that fails until you are down to two pages and one works and one doesn't, then you can start delting objects on the bad page. It's most likely a bad link of some sort.

• 2. Re: Export to .idml not completing
            Green4ever Level 3

Thank you very much for branced this out. I have tried with a patched machine no improvement. The document has track changes when I tried to give accept all changes in the document indesign crashes. Can you help with this information. Or I need to do something more than this.

-----Edit------

For your testing I've uploaded the file here https://www.box.com/s/dt6pttb56zku0grc0uqb. please help me how to solve the issue?

Thanks,

Green4ever

• 3. Re: Export to .idml not completing
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I opened your test file in CS6 first to see waht would happen, and I was able to export .idml, which I will send to you.

Next I tried opeing in CS5.5 and accepting all changes. After about 10 minutes it was still working on that, but not hung (I could open and work in other files). It crashed though when I tried to close it. I opened the .idml file in CS5.5 and was able to accept the changes in that, so it may be good to go.

• 4. Re: Export to .idml not completing
                Green4ever Level 3

Thank you very much peter. I'll test the file which you sent tommorrow morning and let you know the result. I have 4 similar indesign files, I'll try in CS6 as you did and check what whould happend.

Thanks,

Green4ever

• 5. Re: Export to .idml not completing
                  Pickory Level 3

Hello Green4ever,

I am sorry you are having this problem. To me this is very interesting. We have a plugin that relies on track changes, so I am very keen to find out what has gone wrong. Your document does not have a great deal of recorded track changes. I do not have all the fonts for this document so I can not investigate it properly. I can give you a pdf showing where the changes have been made and the content of those changes, if you think it might help you, let me know. ( you probably don't care and just want your document to work ).

Did you delete any anchored items?

Did you delete a big chunck of text at the end of a story?

Are you using any third party plugins that track changes?

I hope you get your document fixed. If you think we can help, please let me know.

Best.

P.

• 6. Re: Export to .idml not completing
                    Green4ever Level 3

Hi Pickory I am really intereseted to share things. Yes I used the Annotations plugin from DTP Tools (But removed all the annotation before that). if you want more information I'll give it.

Did you delete any anchored items?

No!.........

Did you delete a big chunck of text at the end of a story?

No Not at all!.....

Thanks

Green4ever