14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2012 3:47 PM by Jim_Simon

Video Not Saving to Computer

NJVidTeacher

Hi all,

I just installed Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 on my class computers, but I'm having a problem with the video importing.

I'm using AVCHD Cameras (.mts files). 

I use the Media Browser to locate and "import" the footage and it all goes on the timeline well.

On the timeline, the video plays with audio and everything.  It's great.

However, when I disconnect the camera from the computer, the files go away with the camera. 

On FCP, the files saved to the computer when I logged and transferred, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out why the file in Adobe Premiere Pro aren't saving to the computer when I import then.

The only work around I had was to save all of the camera files to the computer and then import then from the location on the computer.  This is not efficient though, because I have several students using the cameras and a lot of different footage on any particular camera, so it's a hassle to look through the video clips and try to figure out which one needs to be uploaded and which doesn't. 

I updated all of the software yesterday.

I'm using iMacs (some are 2010, some are 2012)

I'm using Mountain Lion 10.8

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Video Not Saving to Computer
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Adobe just references the files where they are located when you import them. Adobe does not move copies over to the project directory. You have to manually copy the files over to the local drives and then import.

Eric
          ADK

• 2. Re: Video Not Saving to Computer
            josephs51576386 Level 3

What Eric said is correct. Premiere simply just references the files location, it doesn't move the media around on your HDD or SSD when you import it. However if you do decide to you want to move the files off the camera, make sure to copy over the entire folder structure. Because if you seperate the files from the folder structure you can start to run into the a lot of issues.

• 3. Re: Video Not Saving to Computer
              NJVidTeacher Level 1

Ah, thanks for the help.  That's unfortunate though... maybe I should've stuck with FCP.

So there could be a lot of issues if I only copy the .mts files?  It's not really practical for me to copy the entire folder every single time a student uploads footage to the computers.  As I mentioned earlier, there could be 5-8 groups of students using the same camera on multiple days throughout the week.

I'm trying to think of the best way to teach this so I don't confuse the students too much with having to create multiple folders and transfer files back and forth.

• 4. Re: Video Not Saving to Computer

Why would it not work to just have the students copy the entire folder when they need to practice on that project? If that really causes issues then setup a Base template Project with the material on a network resource and have the students pull that down as they require.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Video Not Saving to Computer
                  NJVidTeacher Level 1

I have several different cameras and 8 different computers for 5 full classes of students.  One group of students may use the camera 1st period, another group may take the same camera the 2nd period, etc.  All of these groups may be working on different computers as well.  By the time the students are able to upload the footage, there may be a ton of footage on it, most of which isn't theirs.  I don't want to waste time and space by uploading footage that isn't going to be used on the computer.  Does this make sense?

I'm not familiar with what a Base template Project is... would you please elaborate a bit? 

Thanks for your help! 

• 6. Re: Video Not Saving to Computer
                    josephs51576386 Level 3

Yes issues can occur if you seperate the files from the folder structure. However like Eric mentioned this really shouldn't cause any issues extra issues, you just grab the folder instead of grabbing individual files.

With FCP it's recommended to copy the entire folder too.

http://www.american.edu/soc/resources/upload/White-Paper-Editing-AVCHD-with-FCP7-2.pdf

Also keep in mind with FCP you're also going to have to transcode before editing which isn't ideal from a convenience standpoint.

• 7. Re: Video Not Saving to Computer

Create a Standardized Project on your system. Copy over the entire contents of the Camera to your drive. Import all of the files that will be used for teaching on a particular camera or set of cameras for a class. Then select Project Manager and Consolidate the Project to a new Project with media files. That new Project will be the base Project that Class uses for it's testing/teaching. If the Project media needs to change then go back to the original project you created. Clear out any media not needed for the other class. Import the new media that is required. Then once again use the Project Manager to Consolidate the new Project file and media required for that class or cameras. That would be the easiest way to handle this.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: Video Not Saving to Computer
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>issues if I only copy the .mts files?

Yes, there are issues - Metadata contained in folder http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015001?tstart=0

There is also a bug in CS6 that has not, as far as I know, been fixed

CS6 Bug AVCHD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1004369?tstart=0

-and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1004369?start=0

-and LOCK the media http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1077245

• 9. Re: Video Not Saving to Computer
                          NJVidTeacher Level 1

Okay I'll give that a shot.  Thanks again for the input everyone. 

Last question.  Which folder do I have to copy over?  The AVCHD folder or the entire camera folder? 

I have my students create folders for every project.  I'll likely just have them drag the camera folder to theirs and then use the media browser to bring the footage into the project. 

• 10. Re: Video Not Saving to Computer
                            josephs51576386 Level 3

Basically you want to grab whatever the "root" folder is. (Meaning the folder that is holding everything)  I think this link will help answer your question though.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/transferring-importing-files.html#about_transfer ring_files

With my Sony NX5U cameras I always transfer the folder named "private".  Even though in my experince you can grab just the BDMV folder and everything inside of it and never experince any issues. I just generally grab the "root" folder anyways.

• 11. Re: Video Not Saving to Computer
                              Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

NJVidTeacher wrote:

Ah, thanks for the help.  That's unfortunate though... maybe I should've stuck with FCP.

That wouldn't have helped.  Whether you knew it or not, FCP 7 was transcoding the footage from the SD card into the Capture Scratch as PreRes 422 (and blowing it up around ten times it's original file size). 

As a video instructor myself, I'd like you to consider teaching your students a solid organizational workflow.  It may *seem* to be confusing for them but as soon as they realize that they don't have media going off line all the time and can actually complete projects more quickly they will embrace it. 

What I do is have a single card for a single shoot.  When the student comes back, the SD card is put in a little envelope with the name of the shoot (or something useful) and the date.  That envelop goes into a box labeled "Video to Capture".  Every morning I take these cards and transfer them into a folder called "Archive".  They may be organized into sub-folders by project or student or whatever makes sense.  Each card is transferred IN IT'S ENTIRETY (sorry for shouting ;-) into a sub-sub-folder labeled: "something_date_card_1", "something_date_card_2" etc.  Once I know the footage has been captured, I delete the card (in the camera).  I do all of this, I don't let the students touch it.  I also copy eveything over to a second Archive drive (we have a Drobo for this purpose).

The real trick is not to let a single card get multiple projects on it in the first place.  You can do this by using smaller cards (4 GIG instead of 8 or 16). Or give each student a card that they are responsible for.  Or designate a specific card for a specific project (buy different named cards so they will be different colors or write a letter on them with a Sharpie).  Anything to make the organzation happen at the project inception level.

Organization is the key to becoming a successful video editor and students are never too young to learn that.

• 12. Re: Video Not Saving to Computer
                                NJVidTeacher Level 1

That would be a good idea to have all of the students purchase their own SD cards, but I just don't think I can force all of their parents to buy them (I teach HS).  It was hard enough asking them to buy Mini DV Tapes in previous years. 

I really just want to get to a point where the students can record, upload, and edit without always having to ask me.  That would free up a lot of time and allow me to help other students with more specific editing tasks.  I'll go over the process with each student, and once the folders are where they are supposed to be, I can help them delete what isn't theres (if that's an issue).  Here's what I'm planning to teach them.

-Create project folder in the appropriate location (based on class period)

-add new folder for videos.  Ex "day 1 footage"

-transfer entire BDVM folder from  the camera to the new folder

-open up Adobe & create a new project in the project folder

-use the media browser to locate and import the footage

-if necessary, delete non used .mts files to save room

Thanks so much for the links and all of the information.  You guys are awesome.

• 13. Re: Video Not Saving to Computer
                                  Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

Sounds like a plan and I understand about not making students buy their own SD cards but 4 GIG (or even 2 GIG) cards are cheap.  I find the *fewer* cards I have around, the more disciplined everyone is about copying and then erasing them.

How long do the projects have to "live"?  An entire semester?  Deleting .mts files is really not a good idea.  If you dedicate an internal drive (or even an external) as an "Archive" you can keep all the folders there for the duration of the semester.  You must have a few old, 80 GIG drives lying around.  That would hold 10, *full* SD cards.  That's equivlent to 10 hours of footage at a pretty high quality. 

Another advantage to using a separate Archive drive is that rendering, editing and even playing back will be easier and less taxing for the computer.  In general, you never want your OS and you Projects to be on the same drive and you never *ever* want your OS and working video capture (whether transcoded or native) to be on the same drive.

I also find it's a very good idea to document everything and have a lamenated copy at each work station.  A nice diagram with where everything is supposed to go and what it's supposed to be called will go a long way into hammering home the importance of organizing (which will make your life a lot easier!)

• 14. Re: Video Not Saving to Computer
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I can help them delete what isn't theirs

That's not a good idea.  For starters, solid state media is here for the long haul and most every format uses some type of folder structure.  That means teaching the students proper work flow.  You shoot, you offload the footage, you reuse the card.  In that order.  You NEVER reuse the card (or continue using the card for other projects) until the current footage is copied off of it.  Just never.  Get that drilled into their heads.

Secondly, whenever you start a new project, you should be reformatting the card in the camera, which erases everything on it.  Hence the need to copy everything off of it before you start a new project.  Get this fact also drilled into their heads.  If they don't copy their footage off immediately after shooting, they may lose it forever.

-transfer entire BDMV folder from  the camera to the new folder

It's actually best to copy the top level PRIVATE folder.  Do not rename, move or delete anything in that folder.  You're just asking for trouble and accidents this way.

-if necessary, delete non used .mts files to save room

See above italics.