5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2012 11:21 AM by soahss

Graphics hardware requirements for oil filter

soahss Level 1

I am planning on getting a new computer with the Intel DH77EB motherboard.  This has integrated graphics, which are supposed to be pretty good.  If the oil paint filter will work with this then I won't need to get a stand alone graphics card.  Does anyone know if it will, or how I could find out?

• 1. Re: Graphics hardware requirements for oil filter
          Curt Y Level 7

As a general rule a discrete graphic card is much preferred.  One key thing that needs to be considered is the GPU driver.  Intel has traditionally been behind the curve in keeping current.  With drivers being updated every few months it is important to find a manufacturer that keeps up..  Nvidia and ATI are the leaders.

Should have 1g of VRAM also.

• 2. Re: Graphics hardware requirements for oil filter
            soahss Level 1

I was looking at EVGA GTX 570 graphics card if I do get the stand alone.  How would that compare to Nvidia?  But for now if the oil paint will work with the integrated graphics of the DH77EB then I can always get a stand alone later.

Right now I have a Dell 530 Walmart special.  I put in the NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT but the oil filter wouldn't work, had to update the driver which affected the display so I then updated my HP monitor drivers and I got a constand pulsing flash.  Guess I need a hdmi cable.  So had to roll back to the generic Pnp monitor.  It works but can't get the resolution I like as I either go past or not enough.  So I get a little bit of screen go black on each side.  Not much just an inch.

So before I go asking for trouble again I wanted to make sure this motherboard will work with oilpaint with just the integrated graphics.  I have a lot of fun oil painting, would never give it up.

• 3. Re: Graphics hardware requirements for oil filter
              Curt Y Level 7

If I remember oil paint and liquify were tweeked in CS6 and now rely heavily on GPU. 

It sounds like you already have the computer.  Does it work with intel chip?  In preferences/performance if you uncheck use graphics processor and you see better screen behavior it means your gpu is underpowered.

• 4. Re: Graphics hardware requirements for oil filter
                Curt Y Level 7

Forgot to add a website for GPU comparison.  http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

For really good performance with high demand editing in CS6 a score around a 1000 is best.  What score is adequate I have no idea.

• 5. Re: Graphics hardware requirements for oil filter
                  soahss Level 1

I don't have it yet, the computer guy is customizing one of his products.  What I have right now is a Walmart special - Dell 530.  It is a little older and I am surprised it can even run PS.  The Dell is the one that oil filter said can't run, update the driver.  So I did on the Nvidia and that's when I ran into these things I got to fix.  The oil filter runs very well, just love it.  But the screen display has some nit-picking little things.  It is fixable but I want to make sure this new computer won't have any surprises.

Thanks for, will def check them out.